New Chicken Mom wants to hatch eggs.....but I need a map LOL!

GhostRider65

Songster
8 Years
Mar 6, 2011
NE Wisconsin
Ok guys and gals, I'm new to chickens raised 43 hatchery day old babies last spring first batch in March, second batch in May, anyway ended up with 16 hens, kept 4 roosters to breed them come this spring. I eventually just want a mixed flock for eggs and meat, but I'm short my favorite breeds, I have a bunch of 1 chicken per breed, though I originally ordered 5 each most were roosters. So I have my boys chosen the best of all the roo's I had and want to get some Delaware eggs, some SS eggs, my EE girls eggs and a wyandotte crossing between Fred my WW and his sister a white and a SLW........ I'm hoping I get a broody hen to put eggs under, but if I don't my neighbor said to add them to her bator, but she has very low hatch rates, and alot of roosters that do hatch......so I'm looking for help in picking a bator that isn't outrageously priced for these eggs, plus how do I take care of the eggs to hatch? how long will they keep while waiting for more eggs? how many should I keep? arggggg I'm overwhelmed by all this, how long must the roo be with the hens? and separate from the other roo's? I've read the hens can save sperm from old rooster, is that true? if so how long to keep my hens separate before placing them with the right rooster? HELPPPPPPPPPP PLLEASSEEEEEEEEEEEE.....Kim

You should keep the hens away from the wrong rooster for about two weeks just to be safe. After you put in the right rooster then it should take 2-3 days before getting fertile eggs. All the books say to keep hatching eggs for no more than a week but I reckon you could push it to two weeks. You should store them in a cool place and turn them 2-3x a day.
Not sure about incubators, Thats a personal choice thing
wink.png

Ty so much that certainly helps.I was thinking no one was ever gonna post a reply to this thread, but with the board upgrade and stuff it maybe got pushed back so not many seen it, I see several people are still having some navigation issues..... TY again Kim

I have a hova-bator that holds about 40 eggs, and my hatch is going to be next week. I have had some fluxuation, but the eggs still seem to be doing well, and it may be because of its location. I'll try to get the exact name of the incubator, and I'll reply with hatch rates if you are interested.

I have a hova-bator that holds about 40 eggs, and my hatch is going to be next week. I have had some fluxuation, but the eggs still seem to be doing well, and it may be because of its location. I'll try to get the exact name of the incubator, and I'll reply with hatch rates if you are interested.

That would be awsum, because I'm so very lost on what Bator to buy, how well the hatches go ect. I will have a hard time if I loose chicks in late incubation, my heart is too big for my brain LOL..thank you very much.

Were over here by Nichols, about 27 miles North of the valley....... borrowing would be ok if you aren't too far, not sure where Sheboygan is but I'm thinking along the lake by Milwaukee?

I'm half way between Green Bay and Milwaukee on the Lake. Looks to be a bit of a hike. If you are in no rush I go up to Shawano every few months (have a lot up by Legend Lake) we could arrange something then, but it may not be until the end of Feb, early March.

I'm half way between Green Bay and Milwaukee on the Lake.  Looks to be a bit of a hike.  If you are in no rush I go up to Shawano every few months (have a lot up by Legend Lake) we could arrange something then, but it may not be until the end of Feb, early March.

That would be great actually we are South of Shawno but go there about once a week or so for groceries........... my email isn't working right these days so PM when you are ready to go check on the cabin...........TY KIm

Back
Top Bottom