New Chicken Mom.

glasslady78

In the Brooder
Mar 9, 2018
Hi, I am a fairly new chicken owner. I first bought what I thought were five regular size chickens. As they began to grow i realized one was a Banty. I lost one to a hawk and so then had I had the two Rhode Islands and an Orpington and the Banty, unspecified. The Rhode Island's picked on the Banty. I separated them so that meant the Banty was all alone. I bought two new babies last spring and built another pen for them and hoped they were hens. Today I discovered I have two roosters and the poor older Banty. What to do. I can't afford another coop and putting up another fence. Yet I hate to get rid of the roosters. The city does not allow roosters, because of the noise, so I may have to get rid of them. I want then to go to a good home where they won't be human food. But them I still have a sweet Banty hen that will be alone again. What to do, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, I am a fairly new chicken owner. I first bought what I thought were five regular size chickens. As they began to grow i realized one was a Banty. I lost one to a hawk and so then had I had the two Rhode Islands and an Orpington and the Banty, unspecified. The Rhode Island's picked on the Banty. I separated them so that meant the Banty was all alone. I bought two new babies last spring and built another pen for them and hoped they were hens. Today I discovered I have two roosters and the poor older Banty. What to do. I can't afford another coop and putting up another fence. Yet I hate to get rid of the roosters. The city does not allow roosters, because of the noise, so I may have to get rid of them. I want then to go to a good home where they won't be human food. But them I still have a sweet Banty hen that will be alone again. What to do, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Hi! Welcome aboard! You will learn alot of good info here,thats for sure. I would probably go on craigslist or other sale site and see if someone has amy culled layers that are not producing many eggs. Theres some likelyhood the chooks wont cost much if anything. You might even find someone that will trade for your Roos. I would be careful about introducing new ones and try to get birds that are vaccinated for Mareks disease.

Welcome to BYC!

Your situation is going to be a tough one, as most people do not want rooster's unless they need them for breeding. Most of those people already have the roo that they want to use, unless it died or got killed by a predator. Maybe you could offer the bantam hen and a batam roo as a breeding pair? Then that would leave you with just one more roo to have to figure out what to do with.

awesopme.jpg

welcome20.gif To Backyard chickens!

Nice job on getting friends for the Banty

Welcome to BYC!

Your situation is going to be a tough one, as most people do not want rooster's unless they need them for breeding. Most of those people already have the roo that they want to use, unless it died or got killed by a predator. Maybe you could offer the bantam hen and a batam roo as a breeding pair? Then that would leave you with just one more roo to have to figure out what to do with.
Thanks for your suggestion. Sure need to find a solution, time will tell, I will talk with some friends that have chickens to see if they have any suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom