New Chicken Mom.....:)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by diandoodles, Jun 17, 2009.

1. diandoodles

diandoodles Chirping

Jun 17, 2009
    West Valley City
    Hi everybody. I just got my first chickens this morning. I got 3 Americanas; 1 buff; 1 Rhode Island Red (her name will definitely be "Lucille" and 1 Sexlink. I will be posting their pics soon. I had chickens many years ago, but their moms raised them. Now I am a surrogate mother to these 6 little peeps. My husband has never had chickens before so he is really excited. My 1 year old grandson is curious but non committal, but my Kelpie, Princess is glued to the brooder. There is a one inch pile of drool where she has been sitting....lol My other dog, Kyrah is fairly indifferent at this time. I want my dogs to be friends with these chickens......And they will be!

We just built a really neat chicken coop and of course spent way more money than we planned. Thankfully, we had lots of scrap lumber from some other projects, so we saved quite a bit there. I will post pics of that too.

All my grown kids think I am a little strange for putting chickens in such a small back yard......but than I have always done strange things according to them.....lol

Well, that's about it for now. We are all excited to start on this new venture.:[​IMG]

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

[​IMG]

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida! You're gonna love it here!

4. SandyRiverChick

SandyRiverChick Songster

Jun 7, 2009
    Brightwood, OR
    [​IMG]

WELCOME!

I'm a newbie too, everything I know has come from this website and I'm hooked! Also, so far so good we're close to getting that first egg - cant wai

[​IMG]

5. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Welcome from western Kentucky! You're going to love it here! It's so nice to make your acquaintance. Pull up a chair & stay a while... [​IMG]

6. Deanner03

Deanner03 The Cake Queen

Welcome from another newbie (this one in Quebec, Canada). We spent WAY too much on our coop, too. I'd love to see pics of yours!

7. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Crowing

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    [​IMG]

8. Milliemay

Milliemay Songster

May 5, 2009
    Southwest Wisconsin
    [​IMG] from Wisconsin. We bought some supplies for building our coop, and of course those "used" windows someone offered weren't good enough, so, I know what you mean! The chooks are worth it, can't wait for those eggs!

9. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Songster

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from UT! Glad that you joined us!

10. twentynine

twentynine Songster

Jun 14, 2009
    Good to see soe one newer than me!

Welcome to you. Folks around here a very friendly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: