New chicken mom

tiapet

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 30, 2013
Ocean View, Hawaii
Hi there. I am completely new to chickens (birds in general) and I have lots of questions. This site has been super helpful so far. Looking forward to learning more too. Mainly, when are they able to stay outside at night??? They are 6 weeks old now and hate coming inside at the end if the day already. Do they need a heat lamp in the coop at night? It has been 70+ diluting the day, but gets down in the 50s in the pre-dawn hours. I just worry about them getting too cold.

Six weeks should be fine to stay outside. Do you have a secure coop and run? Arw they fully feathered. Do you still use heat lamp inside? You can tell if they are too cold. They will pile up on top of each other.

welcome-byc.gif
from New Mexico!

6 weeks is the perfect time to get them outside for good. You do not need a heat lamp for them as they will snuggle up together on the roost bar and stay warm. 50 degrees at night is not too cold for 6 week olds. Should the temp be due to drop below freezing during the next week or 2, you can then add the heat lamp at night only. Hang it a few feet above their heads for just "some" heat. Just enough to stay a wee bit warm. You don't want to coddle them at this age. They will adapt. In nature, momma would already have kicked them out from under her wings. :)

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

I probably have been spoiling them a bit. I leave them outside for the day and they do still get a heat lamp inside at night. Our coop is still a few days from being finished. But I'm slightly worried about the wind getting into the coop from bottom since it has a wire floor. They do have all their feathers and there are nesting boxes. Just an overprotective mama I suppose :)

I probably have been spoiling them a bit. I leave them outside for the day and they do still get a heat lamp inside at night. Our coop is still a few days from being finished. But I'm slightly worried about the wind getting into the coop from bottom since it has a wire floor. They do have all their feathers and there are nesting boxes. Just an overprotective mama I suppose
smile.png
You mentioned that the bottom of the coop is wired. Make SURE that it is "night time varmint proof". Things love to prowl at night and would most certainly enjoy a chicken dinner. Never use chicken wire where critters can get thru. They can chew right thru that stuff. Hardware cloth is recommended. It comes in 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch. :)

Thanks! It is heavy duty 1/2" square wire that is used for the whole coop. And it sits above part if the run. Hubby was thinking easy cleaning over comfort...

Back
Top Bottom