New Chicken Momma - Hawk took 2 of my chickens today and I am heartbroken! Here for solutions

mtillitski

Chirping
Sep 26, 2020
Dear Friends,

I was the proud mom of four chickens. I love having them with me in the garden. I let them eat everything! They are only 8 weeks old. But, today, I went inside for a quick shower after cleaning the coop and left them in the garden free ranging. When I came back, I cut off a hawk swooping down and two were gone already!!! I live in-town on a small lot. I inherited a two story 4 x 6 coop with a downstairs open area and the coop upstairs. This doesn't seem like enough area to run, so I need to build a run, I think?! Right?

Now that the hawks and owls have found the chickens, can I even let them back in the garden to roam when I am outside with them? How. bold are these raptors going to be?

Reading for solutions and planning some sort of run. I want happy, healthy chickens.

Thank you in advance for being such an informative community of experience chicken parents.

Yours,
Melinda

Now that the hawks and owls have found the chickens, can I even let them back in the garden to roam when I am outside with them? How. bold are these raptors going to be?
Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

So sorry for your loss. :(

Yes, it's possible that you will be able to free range.. just not while your chicks are so easy to carry.

Each year I may have to lock my flock up for a short period or sometimes just the juveniles until the hawks head on their way. Close up the buffet and they will leave in short order. Usually early spring and fall.. are high hawk time and I've heard them screeching like crazy in my neighbors trees for the last couple of days.

Night time predators like raccoon, opossum, weasel and others can be more nefarious than daytime. Domestic dogs are always a #1 threat despite doing it for fun.

4x6 is plenty of space short term for the two you have left. But having extra space to roam and forage is always a bonus, if you are able to add more run and it also decreases the amount of cleaning that has to be done if you don't just load it with more birds.

Hope the others remain safe and continue to thrive! :fl

Melinda,
I'm so sorry that you lost 2 of your chicks.:hugs
You will need to build a run onto your coop. Put a solid roof on it if you can. You'll have to keep the survivors locked up for a couple of weeks. Yes, raptors have been known to attack with caretakers standing right there.
Welcome to BYC. I'm glad you joined.

Sad you lost your chicks. Now you need more chicks! :old
-BYC-sign-flash.gif

Back
Top Bottom