New chicken momma in Oklahoma

ThaatGurl

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2016
Oklahoma
Hi everyone!

Just brought home my first ever baby girl, a (yet unnamed) silver laced wyandotte. She's already spoiled to me holding her, lol. The plan is to get two more babies of different breeds so we'll have a brown layer, a white layer and a blue-green layer. Tomorrow. Or tonight if I'm impatient. And maybe a duck - but I'm on the fence about that one. I've researched online until my eyes are sore but I know first hand experience will always trump research so I'm going into this totally green and completely open minded. I'd love to hear any and all hard learned lessons, funny stories and/or quirky names, so please, comment away!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Congrats on your new chick :celebrate I hope you are able to find her some friends soon as they do so much better with company.
Good luck with your new chicken adventures and enjoy BYC :frow

Welcome to BYC and congrats on your chicks!
Some advice I've learned the hard way about ducks is to not raise them with chickens. They are super messy, so our chicks, which were closer to the ground then the ducks would get rashes on their tummies. Also, I suggest if you get a duck to get two so it is not lonely. I hope all goes well with your chicks and good luck!
Also, one of our chickens name is Moo Cow. She is super sweet and my favorite! :)

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

Hi and welcome to BYC - great to have you onboard with us.

The Learning Centre is a great resource, even for experienced chicken keepers - loads of info on anything chicken. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Another good link is:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/getting-started-raising-chickens

Joining your state thread will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area, which can be helpful (just type the name of your state in the search box).

All the best
CT

Thanks for all the warm welcomes!
hugs.gif

Update: Two new chickies but no ducks. Hubs and I decided to wait on the ducks until the chicks are bigger. Since we're both noobies, we didn't want to overload.
Our new babies are an Ameraucana and a Brown Leghorn. They each have very different personalities so it's going to be a fun ride.

One thought was naming them after characters on our favorite show, The Walking Dead:
The Silver Laced Wyandotte is kinda loud and spazy, needs lots of attention - like Andrea.
The Ameraucana is very curious and nosy - like Maggie.
The Brown Leghorn is calm and has leader qualities - like Michonne.

Or after our fave WWE Divas:
Paige, Fox and Becky.

Or to use their breeds and egg colors as a guide:
Silvia Brown, Amy Green and Brandy White.

Anyone else have trouble with names? They are very new so there's plenty of time, it's just boring to say "the one at the food" or "the brown one with the stripe"...
hmm.png

Congrats on your new chickies!
We name all of our chickens and ducks, but sometimes it can be hard to think of the names. I suggest trying each name and seeing which one you like and isn't to hard to say. You might not find the perfect name for a chicken for a couple of months. We have a RIR who is 6 months old and we just found her perfect name: Cherry Bomb. Good luck and by the way I love Ameraucanas! :)

Update: I'm in love!

I thought three would be plenty but I guess I was wrong, lol. Sent the Hubs to get three more this morning, so we've added a White Leghorn, a Buff Orpington and a New Hampshire Red. I read that the bigger the flock, the happier the girls
wink.png
. He was cool with it, but he also isn't going to be the one doing most of the work lol.

Right now I can't tell the difference between the Buff and the Red, both are gold and calm. Everyone seems to be doing fine - eating, drinking, sleeping, pooping - and they all get along nicely.

I think the Brown Leghorn is my favorite right now. What breed do you guys prefer?

Back
Top Bottom