New chicken momma to some great hens and a hormonal rooster

Welcome! And Thank you for the words of wisdom and smiles from you and cwils.

My flock was supposed to be all hens but, naturally, we were surprised by a big man who we ironically named Steve French before we knew he was a rooster.

The one chick we gave a boy name to ended up being a cockerel as well! maybe we're on to something... ;)

When we pick up our first chicks today I will make sure my granddaughter does not start our flock with names like Uncle Bob, Superman, or Oscar the Grouch. I’m liking the name Miss Manners, Ladylike Lacy, and Pet-able Peep Girl right now. And definitely no Marias, even if Mr. Maria is so handsome.

Welcome! And Thank you for the words of wisdom and smiles from you and cwils.

When we pick up our first chicks today I will make sure my granddaughter does not start our flock with names like Uncle Bob, Superman, or Oscar the Grouch. I’m liking the name Miss Manners, Ladylike Lacy, and Pet-able Peep Girl right now. And definitely no Marias, even if Mr. Maria is so handsome.

Update- I do not listen to the voice of reason. :he We now own 7 chicks. So far the names are Spartacus, Chip and Dale, Tiny and Jumbo, and Orpington Chicks 1 & 2. :th Since they were all straight run except Chip & Dale, I deserve the 4 roosters I'm betting I bought. Lily will post some pictures and updates after school for us on our profile page. For now I am going to carefully watch (I didn't say listen :lau) the advise TinyPterodactyls receives!!

Hey everyone!
First time chicken owner here! Let me tell you about my flock! (Any words of wisdom welcome!) I've had my first flock for a little over 4 months now, and things are going pretty well! My flock was supposed to be all hens but, naturally, we were surprised by a big man who we ironically named Steve French before we knew he was a rooster. He is a Rhode Island Red. Steve has recently earned his big boy rooster crow, and has since become a real pain in our butts, as well as annoying my ladies. He has been running after my labrador, and trying to sneak up on her and pick on her lately as well! He also always keep the ladies in check and sometimes makes a fuss when in petting them. He used to love to be held the most, but now he just runs after me.

My ladies are the loveliest! I have 3 orpingtons and 3 Rhode Island Reds. They are mostly quiet, eat ALL the ticks around our yard, and love to be petted and talked to. We love having them around!

No eggs yet, but we are impatiently waiting and checking everyday, as they have started singing the egg song and even sitting in the nesting boxes growling sometimes....stay tuned!

Thanks for reading!
Welcome! This is my first time also, I had six that were supposed to be all hens, but lo and behold I had a rooster. Had to rename "her" from Bertha to Bert. Anyhow, Bert was murdered by a neighbors dogs when he flew over the fence, so just the 5 ladies now: Franny, Beth, Glorya, Lucielle and Autumn. Amercaunas (SP?) . I'm finding them entertaining. Good luck. They'll be laying at around 6 months and you will be afloat with eggs.

Update- I do not listen to the voice of reason. :he We now own 7 chicks. So far the names are Spartacus, Chip and Dale, Tiny and Jumbo, and Orpington Chicks 1 & 2. :th Since they were all straight run except Chip & Dale, I deserve the 4 roosters I'm betting I bought. Lily will post some pictures and updates after school for us on our profile page. For now I am going to carefully watch (I didn't say listen :lau) the advise TinyPterodactyls receives!!
Yep, didn't know I had a roo til "she" started to try out crowing!

Don't worry, I've been keeping chickens for many years and my favorite Rooster is named MARIA.

All Roosters have different attitudes but all roosters will also push the boundaries (which include you, your pets, your children, etc). Some come around and some go to the pot.

Here's Maria...

View attachment 1877794
In the spirit of a boy named Sue, can I suggest you call him Mario? :lau:lau:lau

Back
Top Bottom