New chicken momma

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Tbshreve, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Tbshreve

Tbshreve Chirping

Oct 14, 2018
    Hey everyone & thank you for adding me to the group! I’ve learned a lot from you site already!
    I have 3 chicks - got them from Meyers hatchery as day old girls: a Brahma (Davina), a blue Orpington (Luna), and a salmon faverolle (Sammie). The are 7 weeks old & still in the garage in a dog kennel that is enclosed & @ 4 ft in diameter. I’ve turned off their brooder / heating plate. I’m worried because it’s fall & the temps are getting down in the 30s. My coop is a good one - the roof is metal & I have 1/4” hardware cloth under the roof for predator protection. I didn’t insulate it - any suggestions on how to insulate & keep the moisture down & also on when is a good time to move the girls to their coop? All together the roosting coop is 5x5 & the attached run is 5x6 - they will mainly be in unless I supervise them for a morning forage.

Attached Files:

2. rjohns39

rjohns39 Enabler

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us :ya
    The key to birds staying warm in winter is draft free ventilation. At least 1 sq ft per bird. They also need to stay dry and flat 2x4 roosts help prevent frost bit toes. Nice job on your coop.

3. FrankieDoodle

FrankieDoodle Crossing the Road

Jul 29, 2017
    California
    :frow Hi @Tbshreve Welcome to BYC!!! :woot I'm glad you decided to join us!

4. Melky

Melky Crowing

Jul 23, 2018
    Edgewood, KY
    My Coop
  5. Tbshreve

Tbshreve Chirping

Oct 14, 2018
    i posted interior pics just a minute ago = should I sandwich a metal building insulation between the hardware cloth & metal roof?

Attached Files:

6. Tbshreve

Tbshreve Chirping

Oct 14, 2018
    I have about 6” of pine shavings & am thinking about the deep littler method for the winter.

7. rjohns39

rjohns39 Enabler

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    What part of the world are you in and what's your winter weather like? I'm not sure one way or the other if you'll need insulation.

8. Melky

Melky Crowing

Jul 23, 2018
    Edgewood, KY
    My Coop
    While using deep litter method be careful as poop still needs to be managed and composted to remove the ammonia in the manure to prevent ammonia toxicity in chickens. Use of an odor eliminator compost assist granules like Dookashi help.

9. Tbshreve

Tbshreve Chirping

Oct 14, 2018
    I’m in the southeast = Knoxville, Tennessee = we never know what the winter will be like - constantly changes here = typically cold temps for us are Jan - march & can get down below 0 at times - snow isn’t consistent & hasn’t accumulated more than 4” in years.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: