New chicken not socializing?

newgoosegirl

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 20, 2009
A couple days ago my friend gave me a cute little mutt frizzle. The problem is, she just pretty much stays by herself apart from the rest of the flock. When I first brought her home they didn't know she was a chicken, they've never seen a frizzle before, and now I guess they pick on her when she gets too close. She doesn't seem too athletic, she's smaller than most of the rest, and of course looks funny.
I'm sure my friend would take her back, but I really don't want to if I don't have to. She's so sweet, total lap chicken with me, and I've already trained her to come when I call her. I just don't want her to be unhappy when she's out in the yard.

She's only 4 months old or so, is there any chance when she gets bigger and settles in the others will accept her? Or would it help to get a cochin or another frizzle or something to be her buddy? I don't like to see her wandering around alone, so I'm hoping I can help her.
sad.png

As long as she is not being bullied, give it some time. It is hard when introducing a single chicken (better in groups) but that your other hens are not picking on her is a good sign.

Thank you.
smile.png

I'm thinking since she seems to be alright with what she's doing now, if it doesn't get worse I'll just keep handling her a lot for now. Next time we have a chicken swap nearby I'll see if I can find a silkie or another frizzle or something to be her friend if she still doesn't get along with the other birds (my dad said no more chicks in the house, or else I might try eggs or something).
If it does get worse, then I guess you'll be hearing more from me.

Back
Top Bottom