new chicken owner by proxy

ericz

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 16, 2011
media pa
hi all,

my 16-year-old daughter ordered six bantams from mcmurray hatchery, but we actually have about 20 altogether because they add cockerels to keep everybody warm in the box while being shipped.

we live in a suburban neighborhood, so we will give the males away (the ones that are not bantams anyway) to her boss, who owns a pet store and lives on a farm.

she also just received six duck eggs which are incubating and expected to hatch in about three weeks. the ducks will also be given away to her boss when they get big enough to quack. we did this same thing last year... just the ducks, no chickens though.

right now everybody is in my garden shed, which i cleaned out and lined with straw and hung some heat lamps in. i also cut a 1-ft-square hole in the wall, which opens to an enclosed run i built which measures 8' long by 4' wide x 4' tall and is covered in chicken wire, with a door at the end for access. once we will be down to the bantams, i will build or buy a small coop and add it on to the enclosure.

however, i am starting to think about getting some ornamental layers. i guess i am getting the chicken bug.

we'll see what happens. in the meantime, i have several questions which i will post to the appropriate forums.

looking forward to learning as much as i can!

-eric

Gotta love the chicken addiction...they get ya for sure!
smile.png
Good luck and welcome!

Hi from Athens Ohio. When I lived in a Historical area of Dayton Ohio we had a lady with a pet duck that would walk it on a duck harness. Everyone loved that duck! You should let yur daughter keep one and walk it around. Your neighbors will soon all want a duck of their own. I know I did!

Back
Top Bottom