New chicken owner here!

Thanks :) I still need to paint the coop the color I want it, but the most important thing was making it functional for the chickens. I have a picture in my mind of how I want it, but have to wait for more funds. :)

I do have a question about when to make the switch from chick feed to layer feed. I've read different things on it. Some say start early, others say to wait. :/

Thanks :) I still need to paint the coop the color I want it, but the most important thing was making it functional for the chickens. I have a picture in my mind of how I want it, but have to wait for more funds. :)

I do have a question about when to make the switch from chick feed to layer feed. I've read different things on it. Some say start early, others say to wait. :/

You're welcome. You should make the switch from starter feed to grower feed at 8 weeks; then make the switch from grower feed to layer feed at either 18 weeks or when your pullets begin laying (whichever comes first). There is a very good article at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/11/feeding-chickens-at-different-ages.html on feeding chickens at different ages.

Welcome to Backyard chickens. In re: white pullet photo 4, does she always stand with her right foot turned in? Couldn't help but notice>

They're on a grower feed now :)

@ Drumstick diva, no, normally she doesn't. I'm not sure why she's standing like that in the pic. I went over to the little girls just to check and Genesis was standing fine/normal. Here's another pic of her from not too long ago

Does anyone have a sure fired way to sex chicks or is it called take your chances

If a person knows how to do it, they can be vent sexed when they first hatch. A few breeds can be sexed by wing feathers. Auto-sexing breeds and sex-linked hybrids can be sexed by color. Otherwise most chicks cannot be sexed accurately until the cockerels' combs begin turning a bright red (typically anywhere from 7-11 weeks). Sometimes you can make an educated guess on comb size (larger ones on cockerels) at 4-5 weeks but this is definitely not always reliable.

You know what else is pretty amazing? When I go out and talk to them they know their names. They also come to "chickie chickies, c'mon chickies" lol. Ghost and Midnight like to jump up onto my lap, Midnight is my snuggler and she will sometimes climb up to my shoulder and just sit there, she tried to climb on my head but didn't quite make it lol

Hello and welcome! it sounds like your flock is a friendly bunch, I have not a snuggle yet! EES I have are a bit nuts!Love your Cochins! I have LF Cochins myself, I like big fluffy birds!Hope to see more of your coop and flock soon!

Thanks cabinchicky! My black Cochin Midnight is my biggest snuggler. All my EE are nutty. Tiny is a biter. I'd love to know how to break that. They spent the first 6wks being picked on by a RIR cockerel though so I figured it had a lot to do with their skittishness (I've read they can be skittish, but this, to me, goes beyond the normal level of fear). :( They are SO much more calm and quiet now that the RIR is gone (they were doing this distress screech all the time and it was horrible, driving me crazy) but they are still skittish. I can talk to Quail, Genesis, and Bubbles and get them to calm down, but Tiny doesn't even give me a chance, she just reactively reaches out and bites me (I have tried everything I can think of from slowly trying to scoop her up, grabbing her a little "swiftly" and bringing her close to me, making sure to talk to her the whole time in a quiet and soft voice, etc, nothing harsh). It wasn't as bad when she was younger, but as her beak has gotten harder it hurts more. :/

Most of my first batch were more snuggly when they were inside in the brooder, except for the GSL (Brownie and Cupcake), but now that they're outside they seem to be on higher alert and a little more skittish. I spend as much time as I can throughout the day with them, and about an hour just chilling with them in the evening before they go to bed, but I guess things just change when they go out to the coop. Kind of like a kiddo growing up (I have a 12yo, and it's the only thing I can think of to compare it to) :(

I also have to figure out how to merge the big chicks with the little chicks into the coop. I'm struggling with it. I don't want ANY of my chicks majorly hurt or worse. Trying to navigate through how to properly do that too. :/

Back
Top Bottom