New chicken owner here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by beaverdood, Aug 9, 2016.

1. beaverdood

beaverdood New Egg

Aug 8, 2016
    Hi. My wife has been talking about getting chickens for years. At the end of May, she finally went to Wilco and bought 4 chicks: a Buff Orpington, Cuckoo Maran, New Jersey Giant and a mystery bird. Barred Rock, perhaps? Then the mad scramble of building our first chicken coop ensued. It's been a learning experience to say the least. It turned out pretty well considering our total lack of experience or knowledge. [​IMG]
    We didn't fully realize how fast the chicks would grow. Thank goodness the coop was done before they outgrew their brooder!

I am pleased to learn as much as I can from this forum. Thank you for any help you can provide as we are learning all about our new chickens.

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Merry Christmas! Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Yes those chicks sure do grow very quickly! Great to hear you got your coop finished and everything ready for them. Be sure to ask any questions, everyone here to help you along the way.

Enjoy your time here on BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

3. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Overrun With Chickens

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BYC. To id any of your birds - post photos and mention age - at "what breed or gender is this." Have you checked out the Learning Center, it has answers to questions you haven't even thought of yet.

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, beaverdood, and :welcome. Great to have you in our community! :)

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by