New chicken owner here

Mar 30, 2018
Hello! I found this forum while researching chickens before we got ours.
We recently moved across the U.S., and went from living in town to living in a subdivision in a rural area, with 6 acres. One thing I have always wanted to do is have chickens so we just started our adventure.
We have four chicks, two buff orpingtons and two black stars. We got them when they were a few days old and they are now 6 weeks old.
We bought a small coop with an attached run, and I am getting a portable run soon.
My husband and I have two kids and two cats. We both grew up in the country and wanted our kids to experience it as well.
I am completely new at chicken keeping, though, so I am hoping to learn a lot here.

PicsArt_03-14-01.39.45.png

Hi and welcome to BYC

Here’s a good link where you’ll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping chickens - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find Your State Thread

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Hello! I found this forum while researching chickens before we got ours.
We recently moved across the U.S., and went from living in town to living in a subdivision in a rural area, with 6 acres. One thing I have always wanted to do is have chickens so we just started our adventure.
We have four chicks, two buff orpingtons and two black stars. We got them when they were a few days old and they are now 6 weeks old.
We bought a small coop with an attached run, and I am getting a portable run soon.
My husband and I have two kids and two cats. We both grew up in the country and wanted our kids to experience it as well.
I am completely new at chicken keeping, though, so I am hoping to learn a lot here.

Well heck you did moved cross the country so where are you now? Welcome to Backyard Chickens it will help you and us for location as what can you expect in predators or weather, feed, will the coop be adequate ?

Back
Top Bottom