New Chicken owner here!

lilyaqha

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 5, 2012
IL
HI! I"m Lily from Illinois. I have 2 Barred rock hens. They were given to me by a stranger. My husband made a coop out of stuff we had laying around and it turned out really nice! I've never had chickens before, but i'm pleasantly surprised! They're very friendly and sweet and love to hang out with us. Unfortunately, we have 2 dogs that love chicken (not the alive kind) and we have to keep them separate. I was wondering, could I put the chickens out in our fenced backyard during the day while we're not home? Or would this be a bad thing? They seem to like to stay near their coop.
big_smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
Just as your dogs would like to dine on the chickens so would neighborhood dogs and a myriad of natural predators. They are better off in a secure pen with supervised free range when you are at home.

Welcome! Be very careful around the dogs!!! We had been on vacation and everything was fine until apparently a few minutes before we got home. That's when 1 of our 3 dogs got out of it's kennel. We were minus 2 hens once we found the dog! My daughters were heartbroken...crying! I felt so sorry for them. They love their chickens! Our dogs are in an enclosed fence and our chickens run free throughout the day. They go to their coop at bedtime, like clock work! Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom