New chicken owner, I am worried my hens are sick

Model98

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2020
Hello everyone! New to raising chickens and am very excited to get started on this. I had originally intended on ordering some started hens online, but there is a major shortage right now so I had to find some locally.

I purchased some hens from a local farm that was selling Production Reds. They are supposedly around a year old or so.

I have had them for a little over 24 hours and while I was expecting the chickens to be docile, I wasn't quite expecting this. When I first put them into the run/coop they literally just sat there, even after I put food down. Finally after dark I had to carry them into the coop.

The next morning I opened the door, had food and water out, and nothing.

They literally sat in the coop all day, refusing to move. Late afternoon I grabbed one and carried him out of the coop and put him into the run. He pecked at the ground for a few minutes and then just layed down, finally walking back to the coop.

This evening I just put some food into the coop and they seem mildly interested in it.

I had noticed one of them had longer tail feathers that looked kind of moulting, and they all have pale combs and white in their ears. I had started to research this because I am worried they may be sick.

I can take some pictures tomorrow if needed but I am worried. So far no eggs, and they have barely moved for around 24 hours.

Am I just being paranoid? Do hens take time to adjust after moving from one location to another?

I'd give them a few days. I just got another hen and she was scared. She stayed in the house for 3 days straight. She was still laying eggs though. (I'm a weirdo and know each one of my 10 chickens egg types.. but hear me out, ones blue, ones white and pointy, ones white and fat, ones pink, speckled, etc..) I actually had to get a pole and nudge her out of the hen house. Shes doing just fine now, after I moved her into a different coop with silkies, turns out she was scared of the big birds. If they are moulting, they probably won't lay eggs until their done though.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!

I totally agree with the others here. Chickens get highly stressed from a move. It can take weeks to months for them to calm down. Make sure they have plenty of light from windows on the coop, clean water, fresh food. (Preferably the same food they previously ate.) Try to move slowly around them, don't startle them opening the coop door. Go sit with them on the floor, talking softly, bring some treats to help the bond with you.

And if they appear to be going down hill, definitely post in our Emergency section, @N F C has left you with the link.

Good luck with your new flock!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
After I brought three pullets home (85 mile, 1.5 hour drive), they were very stressed. But after about a week they started to come out of their shells with a normal routine and one even began to lay an egg a day. Give them time.

Back
Top Bottom