New Chicken Owner in Boulder, Colorado

jennymoop

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 30, 2012
Boulder, CO
Hello Everyone,
Like the title says, I am a brand-new backyard chicken enthusiast from Boulder, Colorado. My hubby and I are starting small with 2 Rhode Island Reds. They are about 2 weeks old now. I am loving them but I will also be looking for tips on how to tame my chickens as much as possible so they are used to being around people.

Looking forward to the new adventure!

Jenny

frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif
from washington state glad you joined us!

Welcome from Hawaii. My chicks are three weeks old. So far, so good. I had my chickens pretty used to being handled. My four year old daughter handled them every day until I put them out into the coop about a week ago. They will still come to me and I can hold them, but I can tell that being outside and away from us has made them a little more "wild". All I can say, and all that I have read, is that you have to handle them as much as possible and get them used to you and anyone who is going to be involved with raising them. Goo luck and have fun.

Hi Jenny and :welcome

We started with two chickens too! I'm sure you'll have a great time with them. :D As for getting them used to people: feed them treats. It's the most effective method. You can try chatting to them, sometimes they'll recognise your voice then. :p

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have, and enjoy the site. :D

Hello and welcome to BYC! Feed them treats, talk to them lots and pet them lots. But you got to keep at it, else they go wild again.

Where did you purchase the chicks? We're in Rollinsville & want four, but are having trouble locating anyone who ships less than 15 online.

Back
Top Bottom