New Chicken owner in Texas!

MarysChickens

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 13, 2012
Grandview Texas
This is my very first time owning chickens(my aunt owns them so I've been around them and sadly played with them then turn around and eat them, sorry) and I've been reading on BYC for a few days now(my sister in law told be about this site on Saturday) and for the past few months i have been doing research on how to raise chickens. I originally was going to get 2 Buff Orpingtons but i read on several different posts(sorry i cant remember who's it was) and they said that they are not heat tolerant(even though i read somewhere online that they are). I live in Texas(about 30mins south of Ft Worth) and our summers get REALLY hot (last year we never got out of the 100s) but then at the same time the year before our winter was really bad(for 2 weeks i couldn't go to work cause the ice and snow was so bad plus we never made it to the 30s the whole winter). I've already started on the coop and run for them, its probably over kill but it is gonna be 16ft long by 8ft wide and 6ft tall with a covered roof and the coop will be inside the run and the coop will be 4ft wide by 4ft long by 4ft tall and be 2ft off the ground with windows all the way around that can be open or closed plus vent holes at the very top that can be open and closed(i know its gonna be a little bit over kill for just 2-4 chickens haha) So my question is should i still get the Orpingtons or is there any other heat hardy and sometimes cold hardy chickens that i should get? I value every ones opinions and experiences(especially since i have none) and whatever you can tell me that will help.
Thanks so much, Mary

I live about an hour south of you. I have a BO and she handles the heat just fine. Welcome to BYC!!!
frow.gif

I don't live too far from you. I have several different breeds and A LOT of mutts. Most of them are chicks so they haven't seen summer yet, but my friends/family have everything from common things like Orpingtons and RIRs to silkies to things I can't even pronounce. Pretty much any breed can survive and thrive here. They have ways to stay cool. If you give them access to cool dirt, shade, and water, they will do fine.

As far as Orpingtons not being heat tolerant... :hmm Where did they get that from? I know lots of people with Opingtons. I have a couple chicks myself.
Get pretty much whatever breed you want that will suit you and they will be fine. :)

and
welcome-byc.gif

I'm in Texas as well. Just came home a couple hours ago with my very first chickies! I don't have a coop yet, but I have been looking at plans all day. My babies are only 4 days old right now so at least I have a little time to get one built!

I'm in Texas as well. Just came home a couple hours ago with my very first chickies! I don't have a coop yet, but I have been looking at plans all day. My babies are only 4 days old right now so at least I have a little time to get one built!
I didn't even have a coop when I got my first full grown chickens! All they had was a tractor. XD

Oh wow thanks for the swift inputs so far!
big_smile.png

Turney31: Thanks for the welcome.
Laynadon35: I read it on someones post, I'm sorry i cant remember whose(I've looked at some many since i joined) but she said they were good for a couple of days in the 100s but not good for numerous days of heat.
Sheysd1: My husband told me the only way i can walk through the front door with Chickie's is if i have started working on a coop, and being the smart *** that i am i showed him the drawn out plans and all the research i had written down so far, and he was like you know what i meant so don't even try it. lol
lau.gif
So hopefully in the next few day
fl.gif
i can go to TSC and pick up the new babies.

I'm about an hour away from you...according to Google (Waco)!
I like the fact that you're making a BIG chicken coop! Better for it to be waaay huge than teeny tiny. A while back we had suddenly gotten quite a few chickens, but hadn't expanded our pen at all. Before we knew it, we were battling all kinds of illnesses (mostly respitory infections). So...now our pen is about 1/2 an acre haha.

As for Buff Orpingtons...I haven't heard anything about them being bad with heat. They seem really popular in this area, so they must do OK in the summer, I'm guessing.

Back
Top Bottom