New Chicken owner...questions on feed...???

adirondack

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 22, 2012
Hi Everyone I'm very new to the chicken thing. Starting from the very basics, what do you feed/offer to keep your chickens healthy and happy? Locally I only have a TSC and a Do it Best that offers feed (Poulin). There is a blue seal dealer about 15 miles away but the tractor supply is closer. For years I was a horse person but I am taking a break to get some other things done in my life. So while I do not have horses any longer, the chickens will be staying at a relatives farm (she lives very close by) and I have it set up so they can be turned out with their two horses. I just want to know, what else should I give them daily/weekly/monthly? I'm talking everything I need to know as far as good basic care of these animals. Eventually I would like to show, if/when I can get some really good quality birds, and I want them to look like a well loved chicken. Also, does anyone know where I can find a good resource to learn the correct conformation breed or not breed specific?

Hi Everyone I'm very new to the chicken thing. Starting from the very basics, what do you feed/offer to keep your chickens healthy and happy? Locally I only have a TSC and a Do it Best that offers feed (Poulin). There is a blue seal dealer about 15 miles away but the tractor supply is closer. For years I was a horse person but I am taking a break to get some other things done in my life. So while I do not have horses any longer, the chickens will be staying at a relatives farm (she lives very close by) and I have it set up so they can be turned out with their two horses. I just want to know, what else should I give them daily/weekly/monthly? I'm talking everything I need to know as far as good basic care of these animals. Eventually I would like to show, if/when I can get some really good quality birds, and I want them to look like a well loved chicken. Also, does anyone know where I can find a good resource to learn the correct conformation breed or not breed specific?
If you are going breed/show poultry you need to get a American Standard of Perfection book [I'll post a link at the bottom of the page]
This is going to be the "basics" in feeding for exhibition a Feeding for Exhibition 101 if you will.

Most exhibitors will feed a non-medicated starter/ grower [one that has animal proteins in it] the whole life of the fowl and when the hens are laying they offer oyster shells in a bowl off to the side.
They also will feed a little scratch as a mid day snack. Green like Spinach or Lettuce may be offered also but you don't want to over do it on the treats.
A lot of breeders/exhibitors will also use a supplement like Calf manna, Rooster Booster Poultry Cell, Cock and Stag Booster Pellet, Cod Liver Oil, Wheat Germ Oil etc. as a top dress to the feed.

I said this was going to be the basics because it is the very basics in feeding and there are a few thing that can change the way or what a exhibitor feed like age, health, breed, etc.
A example would be that you wouldn't feed a Rhode Island Red the same as a Asil there protein needs are different and grain to concentrate needs are different.

I would recommend posting in the Breeding, Genetics, Showing area to find out more on Showing, Feeding and over all caring for the show stock.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/14/breeds-genetics-showing

Here is the link to the American Standard of Perfection.
http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/APA_ShoppingMall3.htm

standard_2010.jpg
The New 2010 Standard of Perfection
The new books are in and are shipping
For more further information [Click]

Preview picture of Limited Edition [Click for Photo]

Regular 2010 Edition Price $59.00
Special Limited Edition 2010 $150.00
Please note: You must phone or email the secretary to arrange for which numbered edition you will be getting.
Hopefully these books will be available mid-April

I hope this helps some,

Chris

Last edited:
Thank you! I appreciate the reply. I'm sure I will be on here asking more questions as time goes on!

Poulin and Blue Seal are both good brands. It's not so much the laying hen feed as the other things you add. People are feeding way to many treats these days, and chickens are getting both fat and facing kidney disease (mealworms are too high in protein to be fed handfuls to the hens!) Greens, exercise, fresh air, are what the hens need, along with the pellets. I've written (my opinionated) FAQ on feeding for the backyard poultry keeper here:
http://hencam.com/faq/what-to-feed-your-chickens/
(the post also shows a nifty way to offer oyster shell which is a good thing to give free-choice.)
Enjoy your hens! I, too, have had to give up horses. Chickens aren't the same, but they are fun.

Poulin and Blue Seal are both good brands. It's not so much the laying hen feed as the other things you add. People are feeding way to many treats these days, and chickens are getting both fat and facing kidney disease (mealworms are too high in protein to be fed handfuls to the hens!) Greens, exercise, fresh air, are what the hens need, along with the pellets. I've written (my opinionated) FAQ on feeding for the backyard poultry keeper here:
http://hencam.com/faq/what-to-feed-your-chickens/
(the post also shows a nifty way to offer oyster shell which is a good thing to give free-choice.)
Enjoy your hens! I, too, have had to give up horses. Chickens aren't the same, but they are fun.
The thing that you have to remember is that feeding a backyard laying flock from a hatchery or backyard breeder is quite different than feeding a well bred exhibition breed.

Chris

Check out the book called raising chickens for dumbies it helps alot

Back
Top Bottom