New chicken owner: using water runoff from metal roof to a PVC pipe with nipples?

I also use 275 and 300 gallon poly totes..I catch off my roofs...which are shingle..so In MY OPINION..some filtration ..it runs into the gutter..which is covered with screen..last3 ft section, before entering downspout, has sponge? It fills whole section. I change this..as needed. Then into downspout. .which flows down about 3ft then splits off toward my tanks..with shut offs...these sections are removable and have screen on BOTH ends.....these section are filled with lava rock to further filter. Then one flows into tank. For garden..the other flows through another series of pvc..which are also removable 2ft sections..one filled with carbon, fish tank medium, other is filled with sand..and into another tank which is in a small shed out of sunlight..to this I add bleach. Then this flows out into one last pipe with a water filter inserted..I used a Brita from a pitcher for a while but switched to a refrigerator model as it fits into bigger section of pipe...after this final filtration, it flows into the animals water..of course there are reduction, float valves ect .Maybe seems extreme but it works for me...

Back
Top Bottom