new chicken owner

thomas wessell

Hatching
Jan 5, 2016
SE Texas
purchased five hens week of Christmas and it appears only one is laying egg every other day or so. we live in Houston, texas area. how long should it take (or wait) before others start laying?
Thomas W.

I am assuming they were grown and laying when you bought them?

My ladies all started at different times, when they were good and ready. I am WAY north... but somethings we did to help get them motivated was: - added a light in the coop to give an extra hour of light ( it would come on at 4 AM ). - Put some herbs and rose petals in their nesting boxes. - whispered to dream of eggs every night when I went to close them up.

Any sort of stress, change, shake up can really influence egg production. I would just give them a little time for adjustment. I had some chickens that didn't begin laying until way past 30 weeks of age.

Hope they get off the "freeloader" list and start laying soon!
smile.png

yeah, me too, my spouse was none too happy when I informed her we were getting chickens. my 8 year old grandson saved me when he expressed such excitement about them. the next hurtle is to get the price down below $35.00 an egg before my partner finds out the expense to date. thank you very much for your input!

yeah, me too, my spouse was none too happy when I informed her we were getting chickens.  my 8 year old grandson saved me when he expressed such excitement about them.  the next hurtle is to get the price down below $35.00 an egg before my partner finds out the expense to date.  thank you very much for your input!

You know, we had the exact same situation at the start of our chicken keeping adventure. Except it was my husband telling me we were getting chickens and I was none to happy. That lasted about a week. We started with a flock of 8 and now I've probably got about 40. And they are MINE. Hopefully your partner will discover how cute and funny they are and grow to love them just like I did :)

Back
Top Bottom