New chicken owner

Sugar0323

In the Brooder
Aug 16, 2016
North Dakota
Hello all from North Dakota! My fiancé and I are owners of 18 Salmon Faverolles. We adore them as much as they adore us (they're my shadow when I'm outside). We have already made rookie mistakes, 1 being we ordered a chicken coop online. The woman said it would be plenty of room for 18 chickens (a lie). They're all around 16-17 weeks old and have basically outgrown the coop itself so we are turning an old camper into the new coop. I've followed Backyard chicken for awhile but winterizing tips would be wonderful and we also have to begin making a decision about our Roos. There 4 but we need to cut to 2 for breeding purposes. I've rambled long enough so thank you all and I look forward to meeting many other chicken owners and lovers. :)

Welcome to Backyard chickens. Rule of thumb is generally a rooster can handle 10 hens. Any less and they get overbred. I think you could have 2 roos for girls because Salmon Faverolles are such a docile breed- even the roos. Four are too many.

Welcome to Backyard chickens. Rule of thumb is generally a rooster can handle 10 hens. Any less and they get overbred. I think you could have 2 roos for girls because Salmon Faverolles are such a docile breed- even the roos. Four are too many.

We plan on butchering 2 of the Roos soon he just can't make up his mind which ones quite yet.

Greetings from Kansas, Sugar0323, and :welcome. Great to have you with us. You have some beautiful birds! :)

Thank you! I was so nervous when we initially began looking at chickens because we have very young children. They definitely proved to be a perfect fit for our family. My 2 year old loves holding and petting the hens. The Roos allow us to hold them but they're not as keen on her doing it haha.

Back
Top Bottom