New chicken owner

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Countrylife1995, May 9, 2017.

1. Countrylife1995

Countrylife1995 New Egg

May 8, 2017
    I recently received my 4 chickens two days ago from a lady who previously had them. They are 2 months old. Any good tips at letting them free range etc? I have been raising my two ducks for 7 months now. They have been a joy to have and I am hoping the chickens will be just as enjoyable. [​IMG]

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] If you choose to free range, you have to expect some amount of loss to predators. If that becomes unacceptable, you will need to build a large, secure run with top , etc. to keep them safe.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. I agree with D/Diva, but having lots of undergrowth / shrubs is does help give the chickens somewhere to hide, should there be predator around. I free range my birds and the odd loss here and there is inevitable.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre - https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread#post_3239224

All the best
    CT

4. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Welcome to BYC!

5. Circle W Farms

Circle W Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2016
    Antreville,SC
    My Coop