New Chicken Owner!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Dustin Clays, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Dustin Clays

Dustin Clays Hatching

Jun 1, 2012
    MN
    Hi-

I've been wanting chickens for years, but my wife was never intrested.....until my oldest daughter (first born of twins- age 13, we also have a 9 year old daughter), sat down with us and said "Mom, dad, I think I'd really like to do this chickens thing" that's all I needed to hear- and i was off and running- pulling my books off the shelf- doing some rapid learing. Surfing the net- that's how I found this site.

Since it was getting late in the season (Mother's Day weekend) we decided to buy 5 RIR's from my mom's neighbor. 3 week old chicks. So we got a straight run of 5. By my guess it's 3 of one 2 of the other (Male/females)- not sure which is which though....

My daughter decided she wanted a "pet" so we bought 5 mixed polish- one chick died so we now have 4. Meanwhile I had ordered 5 buff orps.....so we now have a flock of 14! Whew- still racing to learn....working as fast as can on the coop- planning a large run for them. That'll alternate between garden one year and run the next (we live on 5 acres, so have some room to play).

Living in MN, the winters can be quite cold, so I am currently working on a custom coop to house up to 20 birds. It can't get done soon enough, my RIR's are grwong to fast!!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
    Yes, very new. Mother's Day 2012

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
    14 (5 RIR. 4 polish, 5 buff orps)

(3) What breeds do you have?
    5 Rhode Island Reds, 5 Buff Orpingtons, 1/ea Silver Polish, White Polish, Black w/White Headed, Bla ck/Brown. All this years hatch.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
    Internet search- looking for info a raising chickens. Up until today I was 'lurking'. :)

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
    Raising kids- and all their sprts/activities (vball, soccer, softball, 3P shooting, trap shooting). MY hobbies are hunting (turkey, grouse, deer), trap shooting.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
    I am a toolmaker- love my job! Married- 17 years. 3 daughters (13 year old identical twins, 9 year). No other pets.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Glen St Mary, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Crowing

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

4. sumi

sumi Égalité

Jun 28, 2011
    Tipperary, Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC!

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Free Ranging

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

6. [​IMG] [​IMG] from washington state glad you joined us!

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Crowing

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Crowing

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. Chicken math at it's greatest. :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: