New Chicken Owner!!

Dustin Clays

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 1, 2012
MN
Hi-

I've been wanting chickens for years, but my wife was never intrested.....until my oldest daughter (first born of twins- age 13, we also have a 9 year old daughter), sat down with us and said "Mom, dad, I think I'd really like to do this chickens thing" that's all I needed to hear- and i was off and running- pulling my books off the shelf- doing some rapid learing. Surfing the net- that's how I found this site.

Since it was getting late in the season (Mother's Day weekend) we decided to buy 5 RIR's from my mom's neighbor. 3 week old chicks. So we got a straight run of 5. By my guess it's 3 of one 2 of the other (Male/females)- not sure which is which though....

My daughter decided she wanted a "pet" so we bought 5 mixed polish- one chick died so we now have 4. Meanwhile I had ordered 5 buff orps.....so we now have a flock of 14! Whew- still racing to learn....working as fast as can on the coop- planning a large run for them. That'll alternate between garden one year and run the next (we live on 5 acres, so have some room to play).

Living in MN, the winters can be quite cold, so I am currently working on a custom coop to house up to 20 birds. It can't get done soon enough, my RIR's are grwong to fast!!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Yes, very new. Mother's Day 2012

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
14 (5 RIR. 4 polish, 5 buff orps)

(3) What breeds do you have?
5 Rhode Island Reds, 5 Buff Orpingtons, 1/ea Silver Polish, White Polish, Black w/White Headed, Bla ck/Brown. All this years hatch.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
Internet search- looking for info a raising chickens. Up until today I was 'lurking'. :)

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Raising kids- and all their sprts/activities (vball, soccer, softball, 3P shooting, trap shooting). MY hobbies are hunting (turkey, grouse, deer), trap shooting.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I am a toolmaker- love my job! Married- 17 years. 3 daughters (13 year old identical twins, 9 year). No other pets.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
Hello and welcome to BYC!

Top Bottom