New chicken owner

Lilac Ginata

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 11, 2013
Hi all,

I am a new chicken owner (grey Silkie) and I hope this site can give me lots of help because I am already feeling like a failure and over my head with just this one chicken.

Thanks so much,
Lilac

Greetings from Kansas, Lilac, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you with us! Yes, what makes you feel like a failure?

Well she is a very docile little thing but when I tried to add her to the coop with two 5 month old pullets she was very aggressive towards them. She's in her own little coop right now but seems unable or afraid to use the ramp to go down into the grass. Also she already seems to have some waste stuck in her feathers under her vent and she seemed to get a little on her head and I don't know how to remove it.
I got her at a swap where she was a hand raised lap chicken. She coos when you talk to her and never runs from being picked up. I'm worried she won't be happy in the coop but taking her in the house is not an option. We have hunting dogs. I just want her to be happy, not stressed and I am begining to worry I can't provide her with the house life she needs.

welcome-byc.gif
Silkies should be sold with an instructions letter.

They usually don't roost because they have such big crests& beards - their vision is greatly diminished. If you aren't planning to show her, then carefully trim her crest back away from her eyes and face. She will be much more alert and probably dazzled by what she is able to see. Due to the type of silkied feathers they aren't much good at flying.

Silkies generally pile up in the corner on the floor of a coop at night. Other breeds usually peck and harass them because they don't recognize them as chickens. Silkies are generally docile and don';t fight back unless they have to.

My friend has housepet chickens, seramas and silkies so I know it's hard for them to readjust to being chickens with chickens. They do sell chicken diapers (vendors on BYC) but, I imagine that is not an option for you.

You aren't a failure, obviously the person you got her from didn't say it would be difficult to have her move out and live with chickens. If she had a silkie buddy she would do better out with the flock. But if she is used to being the "only" chicken she probably won't like that.

I forgot, as for the poo in her feathers, you can clean her like someone would cleaning a baby to diaper. If you are still handy with scissors you could trim the'under butt" feathers so there is less to collect debris. It's like a long haired dog, they end up with stuff collecting on their hair.

Thank you so much! Right now she is the only Silkie I have though at the same swap a friend of mine bought a Silkie chick. I do wish the previous owner would have told me how much work she would need to learn to be an outside hen. I don't regret buying her as she is so sweet but I do feel bad that this must be so stressful for her. I'm now looking at getting her or making her a small coop just for herself that's lower to the ground and maybe if I could find another nice Silkie gentle to keep her company.

Thank you so much! Right now she is the only Silkie I have though at the same swap a friend of mine bought a Silkie chick. I do wish the previous owner would have told me how much work she would need to learn to be an outside hen. I don't regret buying her as she is so sweet but I do feel bad that this must be so stressful for her. I'm now looking at getting her or making her a small coop just for herself that's lower to the ground and maybe if I could find another nice Silkie gentle to keep her company.

Back
Top Bottom