New chicken owner

NEChickenNoob

Chirping
5 Years
May 13, 2014
SE Connecticut
Hey Everyone! Rather than give a long dissertation of who I am and my life story, I will give the quick and dirty.
-Military
-Got chickens about 5 weeks ago because a friend was in a town which she could not legally own them. Someone complained and now I have 7 laying hens about 1-2 years old.
-Got a rooster (about 6 or 7 weeks old) from a friend who is starting up the habit and had a few too many.
-Chicken family is 1 Easter Egger (Houdini), 1 Red Sex Link (Sriracha) , 1 NHR (tabasco), 1 white brama (Snow Flurry), 1 Plymouth Rock (or Barred), 2 Red Sussex (one no-name and One-eyed-wilma) and a Silkie (new roo; no name). I've named most of them, but will name the rest later.

Future plans: turkeys for meat, possible ducks for meat and maybe a few more hens next year.

I am not certain of the breeds for the Red Sussex b/c they both have small spurs. I seem to remember being told they were "heritage breeds" but don't know for sure.

I love them, they love me. I got them for the wife and ended up kinda taking them on more for me as I spent more time with them. I also now own a pair of overalls to my wife's disdain. I haven't lived a farm type life in a while, but it definitely suits me. Any questions, feel free to ask. Thank you for reading!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sounds like you have a nice set of hens, good luck with your other flock projects!

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! We have just started a contest for our newest members, if you are interested:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/885886/welcome-to-byc-sign-up-and-win/0_30#post_13486215

Enjoy the site!

images

Welcome to BYC!

So glad you could join our community! Enjoy all your poultry adventures and welcome to our flock!

Hello and welcome!!! I love the names you have given them so far!!! Tabasco is my favorite!!!
lau.gif
Overalls are cool! The country life is so much better in so many ways!!! Good luck!!!

Back
Top Bottom