New Chicken Owner

mcotton0918

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 20, 2014
I just started my chicken flock a month or so ago. I have a few questions and hope to get some answers. But first let me introduce my flock. My flock started out with…. four Red Sex Link hens, Mattie, Molly, Chicky Wicky (named by granddaughter), and Hazel, and I have one Barneveler hen, Matilda, and two Silkie Roos, George and Gert (was Gertrude until I found out he was a roo, then he became Gert). I also have a Dominick, “Hi Chicken” (my two year old grandson fell in love with her and chased her around trying to catch her the day after I got her and kept saying, “Hi Chicken, Hi Chicken,” therefore she became “Hi Chicken”) and a Black Sex Link hen, “Willy.” (Also named by grandchildren, long story, so I won’t get into that one).
The four Red Sex Links, Barnevelder, two Silkies were all given to me by the same lady. The Dominick was given to me a few days later. I bought the Black Sex Link from a flea market because I thought she was very pretty.
My first question is: I want to be able to have some chicks later on in the spring. I was told that I cannot hatch eggs from the Sex Links because they are hybrids. Then I read that if there was a red rooster, that I could hatch the eggs. Which is true?
The next question: Since I received the Dominick and the Black Sex Link, my other chickens will not accept them. I’ve read about the pecking order and all. It’s been a month for the Dominick and two weeks for the Black Sex Link and they both still stay inside the coop and won’t come out in to the run with the others. I’ve tried several things. Should I build another coop for the two and separate them or should I give them a little more time?
Another question: I am planning on adding more Barnevelders in my flock. They are very hard to find. In my small community, when I ask around about them, people says they have not heard about that breed of chickens. Where would be a good place to find Barnevelders to add to my flock?
My last question: I am wanting to get rid of my Silkies since they are both roosters. What kind of Rooster should I replace them with?

I just started my chicken flock a month or so ago. I have a few questions and hope to get some answers. But first let me introduce my flock. My flock started out with…. four Red Sex Link hens, Mattie, Molly, Chicky Wicky (named by granddaughter), and Hazel, and I have one Barneveler hen, Matilda, and two Silkie Roos, George and Gert (was Gertrude until I found out he was a roo, then he became Gert). I also have a Dominick, “Hi Chicken” (my two year old grandson fell in love with her and chased her around trying to catch her the day after I got her and kept saying, “Hi Chicken, Hi Chicken,” therefore she became “Hi Chicken”) and a Black Sex Link hen, “Willy.” (Also named by grandchildren, long story, so I won’t get into that one).
The four Red Sex Links, Barnevelder, two Silkies were all given to me by the same lady. The Dominick was given to me a few days later. I bought the Black Sex Link from a flea market because I thought she was very pretty.
My first question is: I want to be able to have some chicks later on in the spring. I was told that I cannot hatch eggs from the Sex Links because they are hybrids. Then I read that if there was a red rooster, that I could hatch the eggs. Which is true?

Even hybrid chickens can lay fertile eggs with any rooster who is fertile and mounts them. The chicks would be mixed breed rather than Sex-Links. Sex Link chickens would not sit on them to incubate probably because those egg laying chickens rarely if ever go broody.
The next question: Since I received the Dominick and the Black Sex Link, my other chickens will not accept them. I’ve read about the pecking order and all. It’s been a month for the Dominick and two weeks for the Black Sex Link and they both still stay inside the coop and won’t come out in to the run with the others. I’ve tried several things. Should I build another coop for the two and separate them or should I give them a little more time?
Maybe you could try putting up a temporary barrier in the chicken run like chicken wire. This way they could see the other chickens but not get pecked by them. That could help them get used to them.
Another question: I am planning on adding more Barnevelders in my flock. They are very hard to find. In my small community, when I ask around about them, people says they have not heard about that breed of chickens. Where would be a good place to find Barnevelders to add to my flock?
You could order them from a hatchery next spring as chicks. Here is a link to just one hatchery that has them: http://www.cacklehatchery.com/page40.htm Ordering chicks might be more dependable than letting one of your chickens try to hatch eggs and no more expensive than getting an incubator for hatching
My last question: I am wanting to get rid of my Silkies since they are both roosters. What kind of Rooster should I replace them with?
But Silkies are so cute. Well, their cuteness will make it easier to rehome them. As far as what other rooster to get... it all depends what you are looking for in a rooster or if you want to hatch pure bred chickens at some point. You could just get a straight run of Barnvelder chick that are an unsexed mix or males and female. You would probably end up with more than one rooster. (you would also have the option of ordering just females though)

goodpost.gif
You got your answers there!! By the way, welcome to BYC! So glad you joined us! Enjoy your chickens!

Back
Top Bottom