new chicken owner

Thanks I found this thread after I tried hatching twenty eggs and only 6 hatched. This site has educated me tremendously. Just started 18 various eggs on Friday. Anxious to see how this goes witout opening lid at first sight of crackage. I have a couple marans rhode island reds possibly a blue cochin or two but all are most likely a barnyard mix thanks to ole Cornflake.

Eventually I want to raise my own chickens but need to get my feet wt first with my new girls before jumping in all the way

I know what you mean 44 girl. I bought my little farm in June and between possums(3) and coons(2) German shepherds(neighbors) I've lost 30-40 birds. By the way they won't be killing anymore. Except Shepherd. I've since built Fort Knox nothing getting in now. So I thought. Hello Mr. Red Tailed Hawk. It's rough but we're holding steady now

Hi I'm am a kid who lives in the suburbs. I only want 2-3 chickens and was wondering what were the best breeds for my situation. I have a big yard but I will probably end up build a roomy coop because I have cats and raccoons are seen often around my house. Any other tips then good breeds.

Hi I'm am a kid who lives in the suburbs. I only want 2-3 chickens and was wondering what were the best breeds for my situation. I have a big yard but I will probably end up build a roomy coop because I have cats and raccoons are seen often around my house. Any other tips then good breeds.

Just be sure and make you coop/run predator proof. There's a good article on predator proofing your chickens at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/07/11-tips-for-predator-proofing-chickens.html. Be sure and use hardware cloth instead of chicken wire as there are too many predators that can either tear through chicken wire or squeeze through the openings in the mesh. Make sure your either use a padlock or a double action latch on the door of your coop as raccoons can easily figure out how to open a single latch. As far as the best breeds, it depends on your priorities. If egg production is your primary objective, then I would recommend Black Sex Links (Black Stars) which are hardy and friendly egg laying machines. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids), and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. With only 2-3 hens, they will give you maximum egg production. If your are looking for potential lap pets, standard breeds that have a well deserved reputation for being calm and gentle include Australorps, Orpingtons, Brahmas, Cochins, Sussex, and Faverolles. Australorps are the best layers on this list and Cochins are the poorest layers (although they are the best brooders and mothers). Whatever breed or hybrid you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom