New chicken owners - Make one of these bottle waterers that won't get filled with bedding and droppi

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jimmywalt, Mar 8, 2014.

1. jimmywalt

jimmywalt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2013
    I started raising my chickens last year at this time. I purchased one of those plastic waterer things that they sell at all the feed stores. Within no time it would get filled with bedding and baby chick poo............. It got old quick emptying and refilling it!

I heard about nipple waterers and investigated a lot about them. Once I made one I was so happy. Hopefully this can help new chick owners too!

You can get these nipples for about $2 for 5 off Ebay. Find a water bottle, screw one in the cap, poke a hole in near the bottom of the bottle so that an air-lock doesn't form, then hang it in your brooder with a coat hanger.

All you have to do is show the chicks how it works by flipping the tip so a drop of water falls and within no time they will drink from it (BUT you have to remove all other sources of water FIRST).

Here are some pictures of one of the few that I made. Notice the hole (circled in a black marker) that I made near the bottom to let air in.

No more dirty water and you don't have to refill them all the time either!!!

I hope this helps some of you! Please PM me if you have any questions, I'm glad to help!

Also notice in my signature line some other things I made for when your chicks become adults - $5 automatic chicken coop door opener, a 5 gallon no waste bucket feeder, a 5 gallon heated waterer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. farmkids

farmkids Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2013
    Georgia
    This is great, thank you so much for sharing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by