New chicken owners. Think tsc labeled chicks wrong.

Newchickenguy3

Chirping
Aug 10, 2022
I was hoping someone could help us identify these chicks. They’re about 5 weeks old and they’re supposed to be Brahmas but they don’t have any signs of feathers on the legs.

We also bought isa browns at the same time and they look exactly like they should.
85AEFCB4-FC31-406C-9554-4CAF29DDD15C.jpeg
EA91701D-9F25-42B8-AB89-6876C6AEFCF4.jpeg

That one looks like a buff Orpington. One looks like a white chicken 🤣.
Yeah they’re definitely bigger than the isa browns but I have no idea what they are. I’ve looked up Cornish cross and leghorns. I could just wait and see when they’re full grown but even then I’ve never been around chickens before.

Yeah they’re definitely bigger than the isa browns but I have no idea what they are. I’ve looked up Cornish cross and leghorns. I could just wait and see when they’re full grown but even then I’ve never been around chickens before.

Identifying white chickens can be hard!
Yours appear to have single combs and yellow legs, with a body shape and size that is not too extreme in any direction.

Going through the white breeds I know of, here are my thoughts:

--White Rocks seem most likely to me. They are likely to be a bit bigger than ISA Browns, and might grow faster than Buff Orpingtons, but they will not be nearly as big as Cornish Cross. They are moderately common, too.

--Cornish Cross would be MUCH larger than any other chickens. They also have really thick legs compared to other breeds. I don't think you have a Cornish Cross.

--Leghorns tend to be slender and fly well, and act nervous. When they grow up, they get really big combs, that often flop to one side. I don't really think yours is a White Leghorn, but I cannot completely rule it out.

--White Wyandottes would have rose combs (yours have single combs.) I do not think you have White Wyandottes.

--White Orpingtons should have white legs (not yellow), and are not very common. They would be much like Buff Orpingtons, but in white.

--White Jersey Giants would have gray down when they are chicks, while all the other ones I have named would have yellow or white down. White Jersey Giants will grow to be bigger than many other breeds, but they might grow slowly for a long time rather than growing fast at first. I don't really think you have them, unless the chicks did have gray down when young.

--Rhode Island Whites would also be a possibility, except that I can't seem to find any hatcheries that actually sell them, so I don't think you would find them in TSC.

Because your chickens do not have crested heads or feathered feet, we can rule out Polish, Sultans, Silkies, Cochins, and some others.

they’re supposed to be Brahmas but they don’t have any signs of feathers on the legs.
You are correct that they are not Brahmas because they do not have feathered legs. They also have the wrong kind of comb (pea for Brahma, single for your chicks), and are the wrong color (Brahmas usually do not come in all-white. Or solid buff either.)

Identifying white chickens can be hard!
Yours appear to have single combs and yellow legs, with a body shape and size that is not too extreme in any direction.

Going through the white breeds I know of, here are my thoughts:

--White Rocks seem most likely to me. They are likely to be a bit bigger than ISA Browns, and might grow faster than Buff Orpingtons, but they will not be nearly as big as Cornish Cross. They are moderately common, too.

--Cornish Cross would be MUCH larger than any other chickens. They also have really thick legs compared to other breeds. I don't think you have a Cornish Cross.

--Leghorns tend to be slender and fly well, and act nervous. When they grow up, they get really big combs, that often flop to one side. I don't really think yours is a White Leghorn, but I cannot completely rule it out.

--White Wyandottes would have rose combs (yours have single combs.) I do not think you have White Wyandottes.

--White Orpingtons should have white legs (not yellow), and are not very common. They would be much like Buff Orpingtons, but in white.

--White Jersey Giants would have gray down when they are chicks, while all the other ones I have named would have yellow or white down. White Jersey Giants will grow to be bigger than many other breeds, but they might grow slowly for a long time rather than growing fast at first. I don't really think you have them, unless the chicks did have gray down when young.

--Rhode Island Whites would also be a possibility, except that I can't seem to find any hatcheries that actually sell them, so I don't think you would find them in TSC.

Because your chickens do not have crested heads or feathered feet, we can rule out Polish, Sultans, Silkies, Cochins, and some others.

You are correct that they are not Brahmas because they do not have feathered legs. They also have the wrong kind of comb (pea for Brahma, single for your chicks), and are the wrong color (Brahmas usually do not come in all-white. Or solid buff either.)
Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom