New chicken parents!

Hey all! My name is Brittany. My husband and I just got our first two chicks yesterday (I wanted 4. Booo). We got 2 Rhode Island reds and are keeping them inside for now (they’re days old). My main reason for getting chickens is fresh eggs. We have a 9.5 month old daughter and 2 dogs (chihuahua and border collie). We live in the city so we can’t have roosters. We are excited to be chicken parents!

Welcome from California! I have had my 3 hens since May 2017. I live in the city and limited to just three. I love the fresh eggs and tending to them. It has been an enjoyable hobby. You will have fun learning about them.

Hi Brittany and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us :ya

We have a contest going on right now just for new folks like you. In order to enter you'll need to copy the link from your first post in this thread and post it in the contest thread.

To copy your link address, right click on the link to your thread and click copy or copy link
2019-02-09_16-09-54-jpg.1671012
then click on the following URL
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...t-new-byc-members-win-a-byc-calendar.1287752/
Go down to where it says "write your reply..." tell us this is your entry and then click on the link button
2019-02-09_16-13-22-jpg.1671016

Paste your URL into the box and click "insert", then click "Post Reply".
2019-02-09_16-14-09-jpg.1671019

That's all there is to it. Once you've finished this, you're eligible to win a nice BYC Calendar.

I agree, not only would you need more chicks in case something happens to one of them, but one or both may turn out to be roosters if you don’t already have that confirmed.

And just saying from personal experience, you should probably have EVERYTHING for your chickens set up before you even pick up the chicks. Being first time chicken owners forgot a few things along the way but raising them is also a great learning experience even if there’s a lot you don’t know a lot about them, that just means there’s more to learn.

Back
Top Bottom