New Chicken Questions

longlegz86

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 23, 2012
Rutherfordton NC
We just bought our first chickens Saturday. There is 4 (mixed) Barred Rocks...(from what ive heard)......and a RIR rooster. How long should it take for them to settle down and start laying eggs?

Another question... How do I get them to stop pooping inside the nest boxes and on top of the nest boxes?

It depends on how old they are. If they are in their first year, they will probably start in a week or so. If they are older, they may be in molt, and it can take several months.

Don't let them sleep/roost on the nesting boxes. Make sure the roosts are higher than the nesting boxes.

It depends on how old they are. If they are in their first year, they will probably start in a week or so. If they are older, they may be in molt, and it can take several months.

Don't let them sleep/roost on the nesting boxes. Make sure the roosts are higher than the nesting boxes.
They are around 5-6 months old. The rooster is a bit older I think. Probably a Year old. I may have to make better roosts because they are alittle low.

It usually does take a little while to settle after a move. Just give them a little time and patience.

Back
Top Bottom