New Chicken Run Question

jenmar0811

Hatching
Jun 1, 2016
I am new to raising backyard chickens and I'm in the process of finishing my chicken run. I have done some research and it has been done both ways. Will it hurt the chickens to put a metal roof over the run or does it need to be a open area for sunlight? They will still have light from the sides during the day but the direct overhead sun will be cut out to try and keep predators away.

The big box stores sell clear plastic and polycarbonate roofing (suntuf, for example) that you can use which feels and seems pretty durable. Evidently over time they can become more brittle though and potentially crack but I think that is on the order of 5 to 10 years. As a safety precaution (belt and suspenders if you will), i added a layer of hardware cloth underneath the roofing over the exposed portion, just in case. The roof coop itself has a layer of plywood with the clear roofing on top

It probably depends on several things; climate, predators, available shade etc. We live in the Midwest, a covered run is a must due to snow and rain. I can't imagine the mess if it were open. It also provides shade during the hot months. Our roof is metal and the run is pretty well shaded.

The big box stores sell clear plastic and polycarbonate roofing (suntuf, for example) that you can use which feels and seems pretty durable. Evidently over time they can become more brittle though and potentially crack but I think that is on the order of 5 to 10 years. As a safety precaution (belt and suspenders if you will), i added a layer of hardware cloth underneath the roofing over the exposed portion, just in case. The roof coop itself has a layer of plywood with the clear roofing on top
That looks great!! Nice job!

It's hard to tell from that photo of the plywood because it was taken during construction and the coop wasn't completed yet but essentially the plywood is just over the coop itself. I didn't put any plywood over the run itself. The coop is situated in the corner of our lot with 6 foot fence around 2 of the 3 sides and a lemon tree hovering over. I'm in the Bay Area so the heat doesn't get bad enough for me to be concerned. As well, the run extends beneath the coop so they have access to shade in the run if for whatever reason it heats up too much under the polycarbonate roofing. I also found having the waterer run under the coop keeps it out of the heat as well (hopefully). Hope these pictures help explain a little more.

We did the clear polycarbonate roof over the run as well. For the coop, we did a red-orange poly carb roof. We get a ton of rain and some snow at times, so I definitely wanted the run covered. As far as shade, ours is already set back in a group of trees, so we did not need to add extra shade. The sheets are fairly inexpensive, so if we need to replace eventually it won't be any big expense. I think you can somewhat see it in this pic:

Afternoon. Metal roofing is great as is the clear roofing. Notice,, the clear roofing has stickers saying "this side out". Make sure to follow this.

I went with a complete metal roof over the entire run. Keeping things dry will really make your life easier. The run gets sun through the side for a couple of hours and then the rest of the day it's in shade. Important down here in GA for both keeping them cooler and dry. Coop is 16x10 and run is 20x10.

Back
Top Bottom