New Chicken Yard... (NEW pics added!!!)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Poulets De Cajun, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I am finally building a new chicken "yard." Up until now we've only had a chicken "area." I am using an old dog kennel that I've taken apart and used as fencing (anything we put up has to come down since we only rent.)

Here is the old chicken "area," very cramped, and not very breezy.

[​IMG]

Here is the new chicken yard

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the pile of underbrush that I had to clear out of the fenceline and such...

[​IMG]

And our house sets on 10 acres in the middle of the city. Our landlord started buying the houses around him decades ago as they neighbors would sell them. He'd buy them and bulldoze them which is how he ended up getting 10 acres of woods in the middle of the city. Our house is the only remaining surrounding house, and this is what was left of an old house that was dozed. A couple reminents of pilings...

[​IMG]

These are some pics of the inbetween stage...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We will be moving all the coops into the chicken yard tomorrow, and getting things raked and cleaned up. Thursday and Friday I am building a new coop so stay tuned for more pictures!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2009
  2. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Yep that works, the chickens will be happier too. Good job.

3. VettekLisa

VettekLisa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2008
    Hale, Missouri
    Cool, Chris. Looks like they'll love it!

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Here are some new pics, with modifications to the original coop. I found the "A" frame top level to inhibit the breeding ability of the rooster since the walls were angled. I took off the top level and made it with vertical walls. This design will also be MUCH cooler in the very hot Texas summer. I did take everyones advice and changed from poultry wire to hardware cloth. I'll be modifiying the rest of my pens with it soon.

This is what it used to look like...

[​IMG]

And this is the progression of the newly remodeled top story. I got smart this time and painted everything before hand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the pre-existing bottom story ready to be stacked...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is both coops in the new, more spacious chicken yard...

[​IMG]

I still have to add the wire and hinges to the doors, but that will be done tomorrow. And here is a couple pics of my Lavender and Buff Roo's that I snapped yesterday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2009
  5. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

4 Love of Baby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

I love the pics of your chickens new yard. Pretty large area for them to run around and do whatever there chickens hearts desire.

Your Silkie roosters are SO pretty. I love the lavender.

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Poulet, those turned out great! [​IMG]

7. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Cool beans! That is terrific!

I was wondering why I had not seen your name in a while. Now I know you were very busy.[​IMG]

8. hippichick

hippichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    Nice big area they have to play in now. New coops are very nice. They seem huge compared to the A-frame-although that was a cute coop. And the birds-just gorgeous! [​IMG]

Paula

9. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    great security fence, if you had a non chicken killing dog you could put them in there for added security against digging and climbing critters, good luck with your chickens [​IMG]

10. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    That is very nice! Love the color of the coops [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by