New Chicken Yard... (NEW pics added!!!)

Poulets De Cajun

Crowing
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
Houston MetroMess, Texas
I am finally building a new chicken "yard." Up until now we've only had a chicken "area." I am using an old dog kennel that I've taken apart and used as fencing (anything we put up has to come down since we only rent.)

Here is the old chicken "area," very cramped, and not very breezy.

11916_dscf0329.jpg

Here is the new chicken yard

11916_dscf0338.jpg

11916_dscf0339.jpg

Here is the pile of underbrush that I had to clear out of the fenceline and such...

11916_dscf0333.jpg

And our house sets on 10 acres in the middle of the city. Our landlord started buying the houses around him decades ago as they neighbors would sell them. He'd buy them and bulldoze them which is how he ended up getting 10 acres of woods in the middle of the city. Our house is the only remaining surrounding house, and this is what was left of an old house that was dozed. A couple reminents of pilings...

11916_dscf0334.jpg

These are some pics of the inbetween stage...

11916_dscf0331.jpg

11916_dscf0330.jpg

We will be moving all the coops into the chicken yard tomorrow, and getting things raked and cleaned up. Thursday and Friday I am building a new coop so stay tuned for more pictures!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are some new pics, with modifications to the original coop. I found the "A" frame top level to inhibit the breeding ability of the rooster since the walls were angled. I took off the top level and made it with vertical walls. This design will also be MUCH cooler in the very hot Texas summer. I did take everyones advice and changed from poultry wire to hardware cloth. I'll be modifiying the rest of my pens with it soon.

This is what it used to look like...

11916_dscf0002.jpg

And this is the progression of the newly remodeled top story. I got smart this time and painted everything before hand.

DSCF0351.jpg

DSCF0373.jpg

DSCF0376.jpg

This is the pre-existing bottom story ready to be stacked...

DSCF0375.jpg

DSCF0379.jpg

DSCF0385.jpg

DSCF0384.jpg

And here is both coops in the new, more spacious chicken yard...

DSCF0388.jpg

I still have to add the wire and hinges to the doors, but that will be done tomorrow. And here is a couple pics of my Lavender and Buff Roo's that I snapped yesterday.

DSCF0369.jpg

DSCF0352.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice big area they have to play in now. New coops are very nice. They seem huge compared to the A-frame-although that was a cute coop. And the birds-just gorgeous!
smile.png

Paula

Back
Top Bottom