New Chicken

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chanticleerbird, Dec 29, 2014.

1. chanticleerbird

chanticleerbird New Egg

Dec 25, 2014
    Tucson, AZ
    Hello Everyone!

I am new to this forum after spending about a week or so browsing the forums here. Everyone seems so knowledgeable and friendly here! I don't currently have chickens but I do have a life plan and part of it includes chickens. In the meanwhile I am learning and dreaming.

My dream is a house on an acre. This house will be modest and include a garden, some trees, chickens and maybe some goats. I already have a cat and a dog is also in the mix somewhere. I am betting one of my children will bring home a stray at some point and we would love to be a happy home for him or her. The cat will probably disagree for a while but she will come around eventually. I am also considering getting the chickens first and then a puppy to grow up with them, especially as I would like them to be free range and out in the Sonoran desert a chicken guarding dog will become a necessity.

I have read a lot on the composting coop floors and read everything I can on it as well as building a coop and, well, everything else. If nothing else I will certainly be prepared! :) (How do you get the smilies in here?) I am looking forward to the conversations ahead and getting to know everyone better.

2. Hi! [​IMG] Welcome to BYC! So glad you've joined us :)

3. Ashley Stroud

Ashley Stroud Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
  4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. I'm glad you decided to join our flock. If you get a dog to guard your chickens, just make sure that your dog is well trained. As many BYC members can tell you (some to their own sorrow), dogs and chickens don't typically mix well. We've gotten many posts from new members who are expressing their horror because their dog (sometimes even small ones like chihuahuas) suddenly and unexpectedly chased and killed some of their chickens. And once a dog has done this, it is next to impossible to break the dog from doing it again. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in achieving your plan.

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC and Happy Holidays!

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

9. CrazyChookz

CrazyChookz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2012
    Chasing Chooks
    Welcome to the BYC flock and Happy New Year! [​IMG]

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    When you start a post you will find the smilie icon - smiling face. Click on that and it will present you with many to choose from. I love them - really perk up a post don't they?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] and one of my favorites [​IMG] Welcome to BYC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by