New chickener here: light and chicks

Thanks again for all the kind replies. We will have 11 3-days old chicks, in a 3X4 box, and they will start in the house and then move to the garage once they become too big for the box (our laundry room is not that big). In the garage, I will have a 4X8 box (it is the one our king size bed came in). So one lamp, 250W, is what i will buy. I will move it up or down to adjust heat. I have to think it through because in the garage, if we leave one door open one night, it is going to be curtains for them, what with the racoons. Rats can certainly get in, on the other hand I only ever saw a rat once, about 8 years ago, in 12 years in the house.

Hello, You did not mention what state you lived in?

When you move them out to the bigger box you may want to consider using 2 heat lights with 100-125 watt bulbs in each that way if one blows out they will still have some heat.

I know of a few people who woke to find dead chicks because their single heat light blew out in the cold night and they had no idea until it was to late.

True about having two lights. I am in Michigan and early May nights can still be cold. But I figured that in the garage I can use also my seed starting mat under the box. By then they will be 3 weeks old and the seed mat keeps several pounds of dirt in the mid-80s continuously. Obviously if there is a blackout I will try to rush them into the house and in front of the stove.

If you're looking for friendly egg layers, I recommend
Barred Rocks!
One of mine just started laying at 21 weeks, have gotten 3 eggs in the last 4 days, they will all let me pet them without freakin out and they will fly on my shoulder when I walk into the pen.

Back
Top Bottom