New chickens and bullying PLEASE HELP!

boggerman

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 23, 2012
Ireland
We have 2 RIRs that are a year old. Today we bought 2 more (around 3-4 months old). When we put the newbies in, the older ones went on the offensive. While I understand that some bullying is normal to establish a pecking order, but one of the older ones seems to have taken a serious dislike to one of the younger ones. If the bullying continues, I can segregate as we have a run and a coop that can be separated.
My question is should we put the older established ones in the coop (their home) and the younger ones in run, or leave the older ones out in the run to let the younger ones establish themselves in the coop? Please help!!

It will most likely carry on for another few weeks. In the mean time you could try putting Vaseline on their combs (to stop the old ones getting grip) and get some anti-peck spray. I would only move them away if one gets badly hurt and to get them used to each other I would put the new girls in the inside with the old girls tonight, they might fight but they will settle down when it gets dark. Loads of people will come on and say you should have introduced them but I never have.

Last edited:
Thanks john. They seemed to arrange themselves into a sleeping setup last night that everyone seemed to agree with. There was a bit more bullying today, but seems to be more about establishing dominance rather than cousin harm.

Thanks john. They seemed to arrange themselves into a sleeping setup last night that everyone seemed to agree with. There was a bit more bullying today, but seems to be more about establishing dominance rather than cousin harm.
Posted in wrong thread!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom