New Chickens and Eggs* Need HELP

im in deep south misssissippi. lol its probably 75 degrees outside right now. i guess its not super important for chicks now. lol im jus gettin so excited. whats the best time to start raising chicks?

Welcome to your newest addiction. My name is Nadine & I will be your enabler as will everyone else on this board. The usual time to start chicks is in the spring, that way they can feather out (lose the baby feathers & grow their first real set) during the heat of the summer and have a good warm set of feathers in time for winter.

I am very new to this but they look like Rhode Island red and speckled sussex - I am guessing - just want to know from someone more knowledgable.....I do not think either one of the breeds are known for going broody, they have been bred for egg production which is hindered by going broody....

And again welcome!

well thank you very much! i think im addicted to this site already. ive learned so much in under one hour!
can anyone tell me what breed of chicken is good for broody? i really want a baby chick! and i dont have an inqubator.

The first one isn't a Rhode Island Red - my guess (and I emphasize the word guess) is an Americauna. Go to "Araucana" in google and look under the wikipedia link and they have a picture of an Americauna that looks a lot like yours.

The second, black and white one, is more likely a Barred Rock or possibly a Dominique.

Welcome!
I would take some time to get used to the chickens first. If you have a chick you have to separate (most likely) the mom and new chick and have a facility that will protect her from the other hens. If you dont have a brody to raise a sick then you go from an incubator, to a brooder, to a small pen it cant escape from from about 4-6months and THEN into the main pen. You also need more than one chick that way.

Good luck with your girls. Wait until spring and borrow an incubator and so for it. Youll feel more confident with everything by then, IMHO.

Either way, good luck!
smile.png

Did you say the eggs were white?

I am not an expert but don't those chickens lay brown eggs and the EE would be greenish colored.

Was that first pic a couple of Guineas in the background? Do Guineas lay white eggs? If so maybe they are Guinea eggs.

Maybe someone else can comment on it that has more experience then me.

Jayare

Okay, so have your hens been in contact with a rooster for more than a month? If not, there's a good chance the eggs they lay right now are not fertile anyways. I wouldn't stress over hatching the eggs until you get (or build) an incubator anyways. Just enjoy them!
smile.png

Jayare's Chicks wrote:

Did you say the eggs were white?

I am not an expert but don't those chickens lay brown eggs and the EE would be greenish colored.

Was that first pic a couple of Guineas in the background? Do Guineas lay white eggs? If so maybe they are Guinea eggs.

Maybe someone else can comment on it that has more experience then me.

well i looked at them and they were green. i candeled them and there was nothing. im in the process of building my own incubator but i may jus wait until spring so try to hatch any.​

Back
Top Bottom