new chickens arriving

chuckscleo

In the Brooder
Feb 25, 2018
Hi, hopefully this is the right place- i just wanted to ask some advice on things. My chickens are coming this weekend- very excited but i just wanted to check-

cleaning- im going to disinfectant all the coop out ready but we are experiencing cold weather here in the UK at the moment and forecast snow for tomorrow (Thursday) and im picking the chickens up Sunday. Is there a way to make sure the coop dries out completely in this weather before i put any bedding in? can i use diatomaceous earth? is there anything that would help the drying process? I have no electricity to put a heater in- although i could use an extension cord and run a small heater into the coop?

bedding- i have some chicken bedding but what else can i use to insulate the coop? the chickens have been out already on their farm but can i do anything to make it more cosier for them here?

What would be the best thing to put on the floor of the coop, ive read conflicting advice. I have a removable tray in the coop.

thanks in advance.

I'm sorry I totally misread your post haha. I see you were asking more about drying out the coop and helping them feel more cozy. I would just be extra cautious about fire hazards with heaters and whatnot. I think they will be fine :) doesn't sound like its going to be a huge change for them.

I have never washed the inside of any coop. It is better to have it dry than to have it disinfected. A good brooming, put deep hay or straw or sawdust or some kind of bedding and enjoy your birds. Chickens need shelter from the wind, and dry surroundings, they don't really need insulation or heat. When people start thinking warmth and insulation, they often think a tight coop, and that just collects water, and keeps birds very unhealthy.

I know you want them cozy, but they wear cozy. Out of the wind, they keep plenty warm. What ruins cozy is dampness. Coops without adequate ventilation are damp, and those chickens are cold. Think of wearing a wet coat.

Thanks both, im probably being too mummy :) ill give it a good brush out and put the bedding in the morning we pick them up.

Sorry just a couple of more questions-

grit- would you have this separate or add it to the food. If separate do you have a specific holder on the cage or on the floor?

when we get them home would you put them in the coop and keep them overnight in there as well to get them used to it as ive read. I have an attached metal run so would you give them access to that as well or just keep them in the house part?

thanks

grit- would you have this separate or add it to the food. If separate do you have a specific holder on the cage or on the floor?

when we get them home would you put them in the coop and keep them overnight in there as well to get them used to it as ive read. I have an attached metal run so would you give them access to that as well or just keep them in the house part?

thanks
Separate container for oyster shells and another for granite grit. Neither should be mixed with feed.
I securely hang them on the walls, see pic below.
Keep them in the coop for a few days before opening coop to the run, will help 'home' them to sleeping in the coop.
Hopefully you have enough coop space for that to be comfortable.
How many birds?
How big is coop in feet by feet?

sorry- also
what do you put in your nest box? the same as the coop floor or something else?
I use pine shavings on floor, zeolite in poop trays, straw in nests, deep litter in run. Use what you have easily available, not everyone has the space to store a bale of straw or hay. Don't be afraid to try something then change it if it doesn't work out.

if you have the run attached to the coop, then I let them in that set up, not just locking them in the coop. They will go to the coop when it gets dark. Or if you want, keep them in the coop the first day and night, then let them into an attached run, so that they can go out or in as they want, but not leave the set up.

Back
Top Bottom