New chickens! Breed help?!?!

turtlefat

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 11, 2013
Gunnison, Colorado
Needed a few more chickies for my flock and got these from farmer down the road. I am thinking blue Andalusian and speckled Sussex. Those are just quick guesses since I am new to the chicken world. Help from the experts would be great. Thanks

Agree the top one is a Speckled Sussex. Not sure about the second, do you know how old it is, is it a single comb? A Blue (Splash) Andalusian would usually have a big single comb, more Leghorn size.

I think maybe 20-22 weeks. Yes I would say single comb. Right now it is kinda a sad little combover growing more out than up :( the farmer also said she laid blue eggs which I have yet to see. But that doesn't make sense for a blue Andalusian.

Blue eggs are always fun, If she lays blue/green eggs, you have an Easter Egger, and it is probably a sort of modified peacomb from being crossed with something that has a single comb at some time.

First one looks like a speckled sussex. The other is not a splash andalusian, as her body build is wrong and she looks to have a light buff coloring around her face and comb.

2nd one is an easter egger if she lays a blue egg as Kelsie said. Could be a cross of many usually another ee (greenish eggs) or ameraucana (bluer eggs) crossed with a brown laying breed.

Last edited:
The splash bird's comb is quite similar to what I've got from crossing a leghorn with an ee. So she could have an andalusian parent, or other Mediterranean breed, and an ee parent. The blue egg makes her an ee by default.

Back
Top Bottom