New chickens but I'm not sure whose who

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Torch404, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Torch404

Torch404 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2009
    Northern Cali
    I got my first birds 4 month old hens. I was told 2 EE's and a Red sex link. It was really dark when I got them so I'm not sure who's who. Please help, or let me know if they are something completely different.

I'm pretty sure he said EE for this one, well he actually said Ameraucana from the feed store.

[​IMG]

I thought this one was an EE but now I think it is the sex link

[​IMG]

The one in the back is still skitterish and this is the best pic I have. I though she was the sex link but then I noticed cheek tufts.

[​IMG]

Here's another of all three

[​IMG]

Let me know what you think they are. Thanks

2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    looks like silver laced wyandotte, gold lace wyandotte rooster and a red sex link.

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I agree. Were they sold to you as chicks or at this age? If someone sold you that rooster as a hen when it looked like that, they either have no idea what a rooster looks like or they took advantage of you on purpose.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  4. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    Quote:I agree too.

5. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Quote:Agreed.

There's nothing in any of those chickens that could suggest an EE (leg color, muff or beards, pea comb, or even feather coloring). The seller was way off in that regard. The gold laced chicken is definitely a rooster - it's obvious by the pointed hackle & sickle feathers plus you can see how large his wattles are compared to the silver hen's wattles. The two hens are still a good breed to have and will both lay large brown eggs.

6. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

I like all your chickens but I really like your little red sex link. Mine is sort of a mousy brown, and with her shy, retiring nature we always call her the little brown hen. But yours is really pretty. Makes me think I should think about getting some more.

7. Torch404

Jan 15, 2009
    Northern Cali
    I bought them 4 days ago so I think the guy knew. I just emailed him about swapping out the roo for another sex link. I don't mind the Wyandotte I think the silver one is gorgeous and they lay brown eggs which is what I want...other then blue/green eggs.

Thanks for tipping me off before I get some angry neighbors from a roo crowing. I'll be sure to have everyone ID the bird he gives me as a replacement.

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!

8. Torch404

Jan 15, 2009
    Northern Cali
    I talked to the guy that sold me the roo and he swapped it out for another red sex link. I should be set for eggs and can wait till a real blue egger shows up...hehehehe I'll post a pic of the new one when I can. She looks almost identatical to the first although she might be less skitterish. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks again for all the help!!

9. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I am thinking that both of the "Wyandottes" could EASILY be a Wyandotte/EE mix. They just aren't giving me a pure Wyandotte feel....so I think they (well, the female anyway) could still lay a greenish egg.

10. BoiseBubba

BoiseBubba Serama Psycho

Feb 11, 2009
    Boise, ID
    I say PUREBRED HATCHERY STOCK on all three, the Golden Laced Wyandotte is a roo ( of course you already know that) and I don't think any of them are crosses.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by