New chickens have mites

Are you keeping these chickens in quarantine for at least a month to make sure they don’t carry a disease, mites or parasites to your other birds? I would make sure the mites are completely gone. They have every 5-7 days, so the treatment may need to be repeated once or twice.

I have done some looking around and there are no current approved treatments for mites sold in stores. No pytherin or peremethrin powders or sprays (sorry if I have spelled those wrong) apparently here in Canada, these items were removed from shelves recently and any other treatments are offlabel and without information regarding withdrawl period. So I either have DE as an option which comes with info about mixed success and respiratory risk, or natural remedies like oil, and garlic sprays etc. To treat. Ahhh this is so much more complicated than I thought it would be.

We tried to give these ladies some day light with an electrified poultry net enclosure, they were so skittish they popped right through any way they could find. Of course rounding them back up was more than challenging so back in the grain bin they went. I feel bad that they have such low light, they must be so stressed.

Back
Top Bottom