New Chickens.... need some help.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Okie-Egger, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Okie-Egger

Okie-Egger New Egg

Dec 13, 2011
    I recently purchased 18 Red Sex Link hens, 2 Black Sex Link hens, 2 RIR Roosters and 2 Buff Roosters. All of these are right at 1 year old. Are there any suggestions on what I should do to make them comfortable with their new surroundings so they will lay? Also, does anyone see there being any problems with this particular "breed mix", or hen/ rooster ratio? Thanks in advance.

2. ChickenMack

ChickenMack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Congratulations! You are now a proud chicken parent.[​IMG] So, your rooster to chicken ratio sounds fine 20:4, but you will have some pecking order negotiations, it may get ugly but unless there is bad wounds, let them figure it out. If you got them all from the same place, it is already done and you should very minimal issues. There should be no issue with your mix as they are all about the same sized breeds.

As for comfort, they need shelter from the wind and wet, layer feed and plenty of water, nesting boxes that are secure and a roost. I use straw for my bedding and floors but use what you feel best with. Give them that and they should start laying soon, but with the winter and low hours of sunlight, they are not going to lay at their full potential but they will.

3. Okie-Egger

Okie-Egger New Egg

Dec 13, 2011
    Thanks Mac. I actually spent 16 hours Saturday building them a nice coop. Roost, nesting boxes, heat lamp, heated waterer, feeder... actually, I wouldn't be upset if the Mrs. were to tell me to go sleep with the chickens. I would consider it a treat to spend a night in that coop... lol. I used Alfalfa Hay for the nesting boxes as well as coop floor. It's hard to find any clean straw hay around here right now.

4. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Sounds like it's great in there right now. I love the smell of clean hay. [​IMG]
    Soon though you aren't going to be wanting to sleep in there anymore. That many chickens will have tossed it up and pooped everywhere in no time. [​IMG] We had it bad enough with four. [​IMG]
    As long as they have space to scratch around in, dirt to dustbathe in and roosts they should be fine.
    As Mack said, the pecking order might take a little while to get sorted out (they can get pretty violent, I've found) but after that you should be okay.
    Good luck and congratulations! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by