New Chickens Not Laying

ChickenJV12

Songster
Sep 28, 2018
Hudsonville, MI
Ok, so I got some new chickens about 2 weeks ago, but they are not laying. I know this because 1) I've never seen them in a nesting box and their vents aren't like my other chickens that are laying fine and 2) Their combs and waddles are pink to light red and not dark red like they should be. All of them have finished molting except for a few of them. The seller told me 1.5 years old, so at this age, they are still laying fine. I also know that the days are getting shorter but out of my other 9 chickens that I have laying, I have been getting 3-4 eggs a day from them. What should I do???

They'll need more time to settle in. Also, because they are older at 1.5 years, the laying will likely be more seasonal. Meaning you may not get eggs from them until Spring. I think the combs are paler because they just got out of molt, and it can take a while for them to get into condition again. A higher protein feed (18-20%%) could help.

The other possibility is that you were sold hens older than 1.5 years. Chickens usually lay less and less as they age. Point of lay pullets are much more reliable than old timers, and it is easier to see when a seller is being dishonest about age with them.

They'll need more time to settle in. Also, because they are older at 1.5 years, the laying will likely be more seasonal. Meaning you may not get eggs from them until Spring. I think the combs are paler because they just got out of molt, and it can take a while for them to get into condition again. A higher protein feed (18-20%%) could help.

The other possibility is that you were sold hens older than 1.5 years. Chickens usually lay less and less as they age. Point of lay pullets are much more reliable than old timers, and it is easier to see when a seller is being dishonest about age with them.
What do you mean about its easy to see about a seller not being honest with age?

I also know that the days are getting shorter but out of my other 9 chickens that I have laying, I have been getting 3-4 eggs a day from them. What should I do???
How old, in weeks or months, are the laying birds?
Give the newbies time...they may not lay until after the Solstice, how long after remains to be seen, could be a couple weeks or a couple months.

Back
Top Bottom