New chickens sleeping in nesting box

We've changed out one of those bars to a 2x4. You can see the nesting boxes sit lower and to the right of the bars. While the roosting bars are technically higher than the nests, it's not by much.
The default roost bars are really low. Without a photo of your actual coop I'm not sure where your new roost(s) sit, but they really should be about here at least, if there's enough headroom and landing room:
Screenshot_20220519-201215_Brave copy.jpg

The bar that's directly in front of the nests is in an awful spot, any bird roosting there could poop into the nests. Roosts should be a minimum of 14-16" apart and 12" away from walls (or nest box entrances). How wide is the coop (internally)? With 3 birds it's possible a single roost will do so no reason to have the 2 bars.

The default roost bars are really low. Without a photo of your actual coop I'm not sure where your new roost(s) sit, but they really should be about here at least, if there's enough headroom and landing room:
View attachment 3115570

The bar that's directly in front of the nests is in an awful spot, any bird roosting there could poop into the nests. Roosts should be a minimum of 14-16" apart and 12" away from walls (or nest box entrances). How wide is the coop (internally)? With 3 birds it's possible a single roost will do so no reason to have the 2 bars.
I wondered if they were too low. And I agree, one is too close to the nesting boxes. We can raise the 2x4, but I might need to be a little higher than where you indicated because there is a window there. The width of the inside is 26" and they can easily fit on one roost. Thanks!

I wondered if they were too low. And I agree, one is too close to the nesting boxes. We can raise the 2x4, but I might need to be a little higher than where you indicated because there is a window there. The width of the inside is 26" and they can easily fit on one roost. Thanks!
Is it wider the other way (from the wall with the nests to the wall across)? For 3 standard birds 36" would be ideal, as roost time often equals time to rumble, though they can squish over a bit.

Looks like your roost bars are also turned the wrong way. Chickens like a wider bar where they can squat and cover their feet in the cold. You want them sitting on the "4" of a 2x4 not the "2".

You get so many different opinions on here about practically everything. That's because so many different things work and we all have different experiences. I've seen anywhere from 7" to 15" per chicken recommended for roost length and that's not taking the size of your chickens into account. For your three EE's I'd think 26" of roost length would work, after all they are not Jersey Giants. And you are not integrating, that small coop would be a real challenge in many respects for integrating. I always like more room on the roosts, in the coop, and in the run but from where and how I've seen chickens sleep I don't anticipate any problems with 26".

Some people have strongly formed opinions on what shape and size a roost should be. They have their reasons where a flat roost is best or a round one is best. Many can quote studies to prove their point, whichever point they have. Some even believe a chicken can't grip with their toes. You just read all kinds of things. One of the more popular is that they need to be on a flat surface so they can cover their toes in cold weather. One person on here that I trust said that does come into play at around -20 F (-30 C). Until then, not really. I don't have direct experience below -10 F (-23 C), I haven't seen any problems with smaller or round roosts. But that's just my experience. I wonder, if they need a flat surface to sleep on when it is below freezing to protect their feet, do they need a small round roost in the heat of summer to stay cool?

I've seen a fully grown full-sized rooster choose to sleep in a 1-1/2" diameter tree branch when larger roosts were available. I've seen chickens choose to sleep on shelves a foot wide. In my opinion people care about the shape of the roost a lot more than the chickens do. I don't see anything wrong with a 2x4 flat or a 2x4 on edge. I can't tell how big of a diameter those dowels are that came with your coop. They are probably big enough, other people use those coops and they usually work. For three hens that coop should be big enough.

That should be enough elevation difference for the roosts to be noticeably higher than the nests but it's not working for you. You need to maintain access to the inside of your coop, that can be a problem if you don't have a walk-in coop and you don't. If you want to raise the roost some maybe you could drop hangers from the roof as supports?

It looks like you don't have good access to place them on the roosts in that coop. I think your best bet is to block off the nests for a week or so to retrain them where to sleep. Once it is dark and they are on the roost don't worry about checking on them and seeing where they are sleeping. Just use a flashlight and peek in.

I personally don't like blocking off the nest boxes. The coop is new and scary, so they tend to want somewhere confined to hide initially. I tend to see them migrating up to the roost bars after a few weeks though, especially if they have an older chicken showing them how. Then I just clean out the poop in the nest box for when they eventually start laying.

Hi everyone. Since closing off the nesting box, the hens have been piling one both roosts (one is the original small bar and the other is a 2x4) right in front of the window. We know they're in for the night because their 3 faces are staring out at us lol. Currently, the roosts are level with the bottom of the bottom window and that's where they seem to sleep. Only other option to raise it is if it sat just above that window, but it would then be right in front of the drafty window and not much headroom. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20220523_132633.jpg
    20220523_132633.jpg
    815.5 KB · Views: 9
Hi everyone. Since closing off the nesting box, the hens have been piling one both roosts (one is the original small bar and the other is a 2x4) right in front of the window. We know they're in for the night because their 3 faces are staring out at us lol. Currently, the roosts are level with the bottom of the bottom window and that's where they seem to sleep. Only other option to raise it is if it sat just above that window, but it would then be right in front of the drafty window and not much headroom. Thoughts?
That sounds like it's working fine then, that they're using the roosts. What's the concern, that the roost still isn't high enough (it is if they're using it) or that they shouldn't be right in the window (is there a draft in that location? how hot/cold is it at night there?)

That sounds like it's working fine then, that they're using the roosts. What's the concern, that the roost still isn't high enough (it is if they're using it) or that they shouldn't be right in the window (is there a draft in that location? how hot/cold is it at night there?)
I guess there's no concern :) if they consistently go there every night, they must like it. I'm just getting more familiar with keeping chickens and I was debating putting it higher based on what most people said. That window they are roosting near doesn't have a draft, but if I were to move it higher there could be a draft. It's not too cold here at night right now.

Mine love being in front of window too . As long as its higher than boxes but I agree don't go so high as to be in draft.

Back
Top Bottom