New chickens suddenly stopped laying

Candyce Mathews

Hatching
Apr 18, 2020
We have chickens hatched thru out April. We started to get some eggs for about 2 weeks different siZes and then all of the sudden they stopped. We are in northern central MD and the temps have began to drop. Should I be worried that the egg laying stopped suddenly? We have white rock, golden laced Wynedotte, buff Orpington, Cooper Marin, salmon Faverolle... and 2 ducks. All from early to late April. Not sure if something is wrong or if I should be looking or doing something. Thanks for any help.

Generally first year pullets will continue to lay through the winter. Have there been any husbandry changes ? New coop, feed change, water shortage, new flock members, predator attack. Shortening day light hours affect production, but generally not so much in young birds.

I would not not worry about it. As long as they are on a well balanced feed they should start laying again when ready. New layers start and stop while developing. I might would worry if it was just one and it was acting abnormally. The days are getting shorter and that's also a sign for them to slow down laying. Some lay well into the winter but some drop production drastically.

Generally first year pullets will continue to lay through the winter. Have there been any husbandry changes ? New coop, feed change, water shortage, new flock members, predator attack. Shortening day light hours affect production, but generally not so much in young birds.
Nothing too new... pretty normal days and no predictors for about a month and a half.

I would not not worry about it. As long as they are on a well balanced feed they should start laying again when ready. New layers start and stop while developing. I might would worry if it was just one and it was acting abnormally. The days are getting shorter and that's also a sign for them to slow down laying. Some lay well into the winter but some drop production drastically.
Thank You for the feedback. Just wanted to double check if I should be worried or not. 👍🏻Hearing feedback from a few of you seasoned chicken families helps ease the mind. ☺️

A few hours a day. I have to hang out and do yard work with them because about 45 days ago we lost 3 chickens in 2 week due to fox. So I don’t let them out unless someone can be out there with them.

Back
Top Bottom