new chickens

Welcome to BYC!

The first step to mixing new birds with an existing flock is isolation. The new birds should be kept separate for approximately 30 days to be sure they won't be introducing an illness or pest to the existing flock.

The next step is "look but don't touch". That means the 2 groups need to be able to see each other but not be able to peck and hurt each other. You can separate your coop and run space with chicken wire or poultry netting. Let them have a chance to get used to each other 3-4 weeks. Then it's time to take the divider down and let them mix, be sure to have extra feeders and waterers out so no one gets chased away from food/water. You can also let them get to know each other free ranging where the new birds can run and hide from the existing flock. Some people use crates or other types of pens during the look/don't touch time but since you're not getting chicks, the larger new girls will need room.

Hope that helps.
thank you so much .

How big a cool do I need for 18 chickens. And how much area do they need to have to run around during the day. I have one coop for 6 chickens and 2 chain link fences together. I am thinking about building another coop the same way as the other. Here's a pic.

None of your other hens have the huge red comb and enormous wattles as the one that isn't laying. If it isn't a rooster, it must be a transgender chicken.

Back
Top Bottom