New chickens?

mystang89

Songster
8 Years
Jul 12, 2011
Louisville
I've read the learning sections for new chicks etc but I still have questions. I've lost 3 chickens and need to replace them but can't find the kind I want anywhere around here so I will have to end up ordering them from a hatchery.
1.) How do you control the temperature if you don't have a heat lamp?
ermmm thats kinda all the questions I have at the moment but I'm sure there are going to be more to come.

If you don't have a heat lamp, you can use a goose neck lamp with a regular light bulb. Part of chick ownership includes preparing and having all necessary equipment ready to care for them. I know you knew you would need a heat lamp for these chicks. Only aim the heat source toward one corner of the brooder so the chicks can migrate away from the heat if necessary. A thermometer should be used to gauge the temperature nearest the heat source. Good luck with your newbies.

You can use a heating pad, hot water bottles, or a 60-watt incandescent bulb. Or, if you are in So Cal right now, just put them out on the patio!

mystang89
Today 12:14 am

I've read the learning sections for new chicks etc but I still have questions. I've lost 3 chickens and need to replace them but can't find the kind I want anywhere around here so I will have to end up ordering them from a hatchery.

...​

From what I understand, you haven't purchased your chicks yet that will replace the 3 that you lost, right. Anyway, we have some strong opinions from our posters here which is understandable. Mine is before you get those chicks, you should have the heat lamp or they will not survive no matter how hot it is in your area, it still gets cold at night.

When we brought the girls home we kept them inside in the bathtub. Very slick surface in our porcelain tub and they were safe and confined. The bathroom is small enough to heat cheaply and very easy to control.

Incandesent bulb or heat lamp if you wish can be controlled by raising and lowering it. Or lowering the wattage of bulb. Honestly don't waste the money or electricity on a heat lamp. I use a drywall light (clamp with metal reflective hood). As stated you should have a thermometer to gauge the heat and allow area for chicks to get away from the heat source if they wish. Many here start chicks at 95 F and lower temp by 5 degrees a week. when the temp is the same as outside temp your out of the brooder, or after 4 weeks when they are feathered enough for cool nights.

Last edited:
I'm currently raising 30 3-4 day old chicks without heat lamps. I've never had chicks before but after having them, I don't think it would be necessary to have a heat lamp depending on where you live. (I don't know much about your local temps but) In the Texas heat right now its almost too hot for them in the day. I have extra bedding for them and put a "momma box" in their regular brooder box at night time. Another BYC member suggested the momma box to me, its a box flipped upside down with lots of hanging fabric in it. I also wrap their brooder box in a blanket, not the top though, at night time. My chicks are perfectly warm.

So tldr; a heat lamp is not a necessity if you willing to improvise correctly.

Thank you for the replies. I don't have the chickens yet which is why I was asking these questions first. I was thinking about getting the drywall lamp and that question was answered perfectly. Thank you for all the suggestions as I will use them whenever I buy my chickens.

Back
Top Bottom