New Chickens.

Glad you joined the flock
D.gif

Welcome! :frow

Exciting! I'm new, too! I'll have my first chicks in a couple months. I've learned so much here and everyone has been really friendly. If you search up in the search bar for your state, you can find people local, too. That's helped me find places to get supplies and feed nearby and a better idea about predators in the area and local chicken breeders, too. There's so much to explore!

What type of coop did you decide on? 

I bought a small wooden coop house. Hope to buy my 2 Isa Browns next Thursday. Only have a small backyard but well fenced so they will be able to free range all day.

That'll be nice to have them free-ranging. I have to figure that part out yet. I think I'll need a hoop tractor or something for when I can't be outside enjoying the day with them. Sounds like you have a great yard for your girls!

Hope to buy my 2 Isa Browns next Thursday. Only have a small backyard but well fenced so they will be able to free range all day.
Isa Browns are one of many labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links, which are produced by crossing a red gene rooster with a silver gene hen. Not only can the resulting offspring be sexed by color from hatching, but they are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization. You should get loads of eggs from those two girls. :eek:)

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Thankyou to everyone for your welcomes. Im quite nervy bout getting my first lot of chooks but cant wait either. Im hoping they will be ok free ranging while im at work as I cant be home everyday but the coop is too small to keep them locked up all day while im at work.

Thankyou to everyone for your welcomes. Im quite nervy bout getting my first lot of chooks but cant wait either. Im hoping they will be ok free ranging while im at work as I cant be home everyday but the coop is too small to keep them locked up all day while im at work.
You do need to assess the predator risks in your area to try to protect them or lose them. Many predators do attack any time of the day.

Dogs, hawks, raccoon are universal.

Maybe try to add a safe attached run area for them while you are away?

I live in Australia & We dont have racoons..hawks not in our suburban areas dogs cant get into my yard....the only predator I need concern about is a fox & im not sure they will show themselves in busy suburban areas during daylight.... but I could be wrong. If anyone knows the habits of fox's during daylight hours please let me know. I have 6/7 foot fences surrounding my property.

Back
Top Bottom