New chickens

bianca81

In the Brooder
May 24, 2015
Hi
We have just a week ago had some chickens delivered from the sheds ( there eggs were used for testing )
They seem to be loving there new home but one is very featherless and has red skin ?
They have just started to eat there eggs ? I have just placed some golf balls where they were laying but that seems to be slowing down now ?
And non of them have very rev comb ?
Sorry for the list of questions but I'm new to all this my mum had chickens but never had my own
Many thanks Bianca

Hi
We have just a week ago had some chickens delivered from the sheds ( there eggs were used for testing )
They seem to be loving there new home but one is very featherless and has red skin ?
They have just started to eat there eggs ? I have just placed some golf balls where they were laying but that seems to be slowing down now ?
And non of them have very rev comb ?
Sorry for the list of questions but I'm new to all this my mum had chickens but
Many thanks Bianca

Your chicken with feather loss is probably the result of overcrowding stress and poor nutrition. She needs a lot of protein to get those feathers grown back in, and she might not look normal until her next molt. Feed a flock raiser or all flock feed to help increase their protein levels. Offer a calcium supplement like crushed oysters shells in a separate feeder, and have it filled and available all day. Increasing protein and giving a additional calcium should resolve any egg eating. They might not be laying well right now due to the stress of change in their environment. Moving from one place to another is very stressful on a chicken, and the first thing that gets shut down is egg production. You may also want to treat all of the chickens for pests like lice and mites.

frow.gif
Bianca, nice to meet you, welcome to Backyard Chickens. How nice of you to take in those poor girls. Once they get healthy and happy, I'm sure they will reward your kindness with eggs and affection.

[quote HELP
MY BROODH HEN HAS JUST STARTED TO HATCH HER EGGS AND SHE HAS RED MITE WHAT DO I DO

Back
Top Bottom